Sugar replacement

evag

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am a novice brewer looking to improve up to now I have only done extract brews from kits, I need some advice.
I've recently purchased an American IPA kit and would like to replace the brewing sugar included in the kit with Mangrove Jack no 2 beer enhancer, the issue is how much should I use?
The sugar I want to replace is 600gms
I've contacted the producers of the kit and beer enhancer but have had no useful reply
Many thanks

Why are you looking to replace it? Is it priming sugar or added into the boil?

I've read that it will make a better beer than just sugar.
If I were you I would brew it as is and see if it needs improvement. I remember when I was learning how to brew there were many improvements that I needed to make that had nothing to do with ingredients

If you want something with some flavor, try some steeping grains with your extract or adding some additional extract.
If you want to "make beer better", go all grain. BIAB is very simple and takes about the same amount of time as extract.
Try putting your recipe in brewing software, it will give you a rough idea of how much to add for your desired alcohol. With extract alcohol estimates can be all over the place, but it is a good place to start. You can try the one on this site for nothing and you can also get a trial version of BeerSmith.
Lots of trial and error when you are new.

Also, as a new brewer, read John Palmer's book How to Brew. It is very helpful for someone starting out. I wonder how I know? LOL

I've read that it will make a better beer than just sugar.

You don't put sugar in an APA except for priming sugar. Priming sugar is only to give the yeast something to eat after bottling so it will carbonate.

I looked up that mangrove Jack stuff. Looks like nonsense. Its just a syrupy extract. You are better off just brewing the kit as is

I'm assuming this is a 5 gallon batch?
600 gr sugar sounds like a lot. More like something you (might) use in a Belgian tripel.
Do you have a link to the kit you want to do?
(Disclaimer: I've never done any extract brewing, only biab all grain)

Last edited:
I remember the old Mr. Beer stuff from years ago when things turned out like crap. Nobody ever told you about a 60-minute boil. The only instructions about pitching yeast were to get it under 90 LOL. You magically poured this can of syrup and "booster" if you wanted some more alcohol.
I brewed some other extracts when I started getting serious again and learned the process, learned about temperatures, and learned about the biggy (sanitation). They never fermented down below 1.020 no matter what I did.
I went to BIAB and noticed a massively better beer.
Having done all that was my motivation to tell the OP about reading a book and understanding the process. Make sure you understand about temperatures, sanitation, yeast, and making a recipe.

I am a novice brewer looking to improve up to now I have only done extract brews from kits, I need some advice.
I've recently purchased an American IPA kit and would like to replace the brewing sugar included in the kit with Mangrove Jack no 2 beer enhancer, the issue is how much should I use?
The sugar I want to replace is 600gms
I've contacted the producers of the kit and beer enhancer but have had no useful reply
Many thanks
If I am right it's Maltodexrine a sorta unfermentable sugar that adds a bit of body to these extract beers.
I think this is why your wondering how much.

Atleast for an IPA your looking for body so I'd just replace the dextrose or sucrose whatever your kit sugar Gram for gram :)

Considering you're just getting started, I'd suggest you just follow the instructions that came with the kit.
Many of us started brewing on something similar to what you have. Progression and better beer will come with a desire to go on to the next batch and to learn more about process and products
I'm glad you're getting started and you can get a lot of helpful information on these forums.
Brew the beer, have some fun, ask some questions and join in the banter.
Cheers,
Brian

@evag, I'll second (or third) the brew-per-instructions the first time, advice. The main reason is that, if you don't like the beer, you don't know if it was due to something in the original recipe or to your modifications. Having said that I'll mention some of the few rules of homebrewing: It's your beer so brew it as you want to. One of the other rules (from Denny Conn) is that if you're not having fun you're not doing it right! And of course the main rule (from Charlie Papazian) is RDWHAHB (Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew).

@evag, I'll second (or third) the brew-per-instructions the first time, advice. The main reason is that, if you don't like the beer, you don't know if it was due to something in the original recipe or to your modifications. Having said that I'll mention some of the few rules of homebrewing: It's your beer so brew it as you want to. One of the other rules (from Denny Conn) is that if you're not having fun you're not doing it right! And of course the main rule (from Charlie Papazian) is RDWHAHB (Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew).
I think that is the best suggestion of all.

Although I agree with those who have said to brew the kits as is the first time, I would like to know a little more about the kit you are brewing. Is this an extract kit like the ones made by Coopers, or is it an all grain kit? If it is a kit that is designed to have dextrose added ( like the Coopers kits) you can improve them by using light dry malt extract in place of the sugar just swap it 1:1 by weight.

I completely agree with everyone who said just brew it as is. If you don't know how it is supposed to be, how do you know the enhancer made it better?

Learn the styles and processes, then go crazy. There are too many "pro-brewers" out there that never learned how to make anything basic. They just do 7% ABV and above beers. Adjunct heavy slushies and such, so when they do try to make a standard IPA, Pale Ale or heaven forbid a Lager, it shows.

Also, not a huge fan of the idea the Mangrove stuff is hopped. With what? How? Why? It is just Brewer's Crystal otherwise. I always keep a bag or two around in case I miss my numbers, but otherwise there isn't much reason to use it other creating more alcohol.

Back