Golden Stout

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine challenged me to make a beer with coffee. Since I just brewed an Irish Stout, I don't want something dark. I've always loved Golden/Blonde stouts and think I'm gonna take this opportunity to finally brew one myself. Anyone out there done one before?

Basically it's a pale grain bill, and the coffee/chocolate flavors that usually come from roast/dark malts are supplied by actual coffee and chocolate in the fermenter.

I'll be doing a 3.5 gallon batch. Base malt primarily Maris Otter. Maybe some Munich 1 or 2. Flaked oats and flaked barley for increased mouthful and some dextrins. Amber/brown malt for toastiness? I want to avoid caramel malts for this one.

As far as post fermentation additions....I'm think 2 oz of good locally roasted coffee beans. Medium roast, nothing too extravagant flavor wise. And 2 oz cocoa nibs...should they be roasted? Should I buy them preroasted or throw them in the oven for a bit? I also have some high quality pure vanilla extract that I'll add...maybe 2 tablespoons? Maybe I'll dunk the crushed coffee beans and cocoa nibs in the vanilla extract, and then top off with vodka to cover them. Add everything to the keg when transferring, and let sit for 5-7 days.

Thoughts???

A friend of mine challenged me to make a beer with coffee. Since I just brewed an Irish Stout, I don't want something dark. I've always loved Golden/Blonde stouts and think I'm gonna take this opportunity to finally brew one myself. Anyone out there done one before?

Basically it's a pale grain bill, and the coffee/chocolate flavors that usually come from roast/dark malts are supplied by actual coffee and chocolate in the fermenter.

I'll be doing a 3.5 gallon batch. Base malt primarily Maris Otter. Maybe some Munich 1 or 2. Flaked oats and flaked barley for increased mouthful and some dextrins. Amber/brown malt for toastiness? I want to avoid caramel malts for this one.

As far as post fermentation additions....I'm think 2 oz of good locally roasted coffee beans. Medium roast, nothing too extravagant flavor wise. And 2 oz cocoa nibs...should they be roasted? Should I buy them preroasted or throw them in the oven for a bit? I also have some high quality pure vanilla extract that I'll add...maybe 2 tablespoons? Maybe I'll dunk the crushed coffee beans and cocoa nibs in the vanilla extract, and then top off with vodka to cover them. Add everything to the keg when transferring, and let sit for 5-7 days.

Thoughts???

never even heard of this, but sounds intriguing.

if you roast the nibs, just becarefull. they burn pretty easy. I ussually just put them in raw and for the whole fermentation cycle. they are a delicate flavour and I have found you have to give them alot of time, or you wont taste it. for 5 gallons I ussualy do 4-6 oz.

never even heard of this, but sounds intriguing.

if you roast the nibs, just becarefull. they burn pretty easy. I ussually just put them in raw and for the whole fermentation cycle. they are a delicate flavour and I have found you have to give them alot of time, or you wont taste it. for 5 gallons I ussualy do 4-6 oz.
Good to know, thank you!

Brulosophy has a golden stout recipe, and there are a few floating around here on the website. I highly recommend seeking one out! It'd be perfect for a late summer/early fall evening around a campfire

I have never messed with one, but we do have a place in town that makes a coffee red if you are looking for different ideas.

Thoughts???
Sounds very similar to what I have done in the past. I believe I went with 2 oz whole bean coffee and 3 oz roasted cocoa nibs. I liked toasting the flaked oats in the oven as well. Mine turned out being pretty decent but ended up being a bit sweet for my taste due to a lower attenuation from my mash schedule.

Sounds very similar to what I have done in the past. I believe I went with 2 oz whole bean coffee and 3 oz roasted cocoa nibs. I liked toasting the flaked oats in the oven as well. Mine turned out being pretty decent but ended up being a bit sweet for my taste due to a lower attenuation from my mash schedule.
Good to know, thank you! Was that a 5 gallon batch?

I like it...other than the Victory Malt. I'd be concerned about sweetness, especially with the vanilla, which is already going to give you the impression of "sweet". If you were using it for color, maybe a dozen Carafa grains would be more appropriate? Of course, I've never made this style and I have ZERO credibility here. :)

Following.
I thought victory was supposed to be more like biscuit malt not caramel malt? I'm planning on doing a different brew with victory soon to understand it better

I thought victory was supposed to be more like biscuit malt not caramel malt? I'm planning on doing a different brew with victory soon to understand it better
That my understanding too. Gonna use it in an ESB to give a biscuit flavor

Dug my recipe up just for reference:

67% pils
17% munich I
9% home toasted flaked oats
4% golden naked oats
3% home toasted amber malt

I mashed high to leave some body and sweetness behind but that backfired on me...

Briess says "Toasty, biscuity, baking bread, nutty, clean". So, you are probably right. I have used it a few times before and I certainly remember a sweetness and definitely not "toasty". I guess I might call it nutty and clean with some sweetness.

Briess says "Toasty, biscuity, baking bread, nutty, clean". So, you are probably right. I have used it a few times before and I certainly remember a sweetness and definitely not "toasty". I guess I might call it nutty and clean with some sweetness.
Nuttiness sounds familiar. Hmm that's not quite what I want. Well I'll brew that other beer with Victory and find out what my taste buds make of it. I'll be sure to report my findings!

That my understanding too. Gonna use it in an ESB to give a biscuit flavor

Let me know how that turns out. A little Victory malt is the next tweak to my ESB. I almost did that with my last batch but, as I was already making a significant change to water chemistry, I thought it best to push that tweak to the next batch.

I think amber malt might be what I'm looking for here, but I don't think my LHBS has it

I see iliff toasted his oats and Amber malt I'm sure this will add to the toast/roast flavour. That's the one thing in his recipe that stuck out to me.

I toasted some rolled oats in my recent mild and I can still taste the biscuity toasty flavours.

For what it's worth: I found that Hershey's syrup gave me more chocolate than nibs. But I did not roast them. 2 oz syrup was more chocolatey than 4 oz nibs. In 5 gallons.

2 oz coffee was plenty.

For what it's worth: I found that Hershey's syrup gave me more chocolate than nibs. But I did not roast them. 2 oz syrup was more chocolatey than 4 oz nibs. In 5 gallons.

2 oz coffee was plenty.
Yea but then I'd have to find something to do with the other 22 oz of Hershey syrup and I'm not a big fan :)

Back