Beerstone and scorching

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So what do I have going on here? I don't want to take an SST scour pad to this but a nylon one isn't doing it. Time for Chemicals ??

Inside
20220806_114546.jpg

20220806_113823.jpg

And the bottom.

Prolly use PBW overnight and then elbow grease.

It's a boil pot, so bacteria is not a big concern

Is it just flame scorch on the bottom and burned wort on the inside? Does it feel or look like the surface of the pot has been damaged?

Scotch brute pads and Bar Keepers Friend will clean up both scorching and beer stone. I use both with nearly every brew. It’s cheap and faster than chemical cleaning.

There's as minor ripple over the dark spot Barbi so yeah maybe some damage...

@HighVoltageMan! Which of the BKF products do you use? I bought a pump spray but noticed after I bought it, that it was not considered food safe! WTF-else is a bartender using stainless steel for?

@HighVoltageMan! Which of the BKF products do you use? I bought a pump spray but noticed after I bought it, that it was not considered food safe! WTF-else is a bartender using stainless steel for?
I use the powder. I’m not sure what it means by food safe, but neither is dish soap. If it’s fully rinsed, it’s gone. No issues.

My Spike brew kettle came with a packet of Bar Keeper's Friend. Says "Cleanser & Polish" on it. It contains oxalic acid and is a powder.

The reason I ask is that my first (cheap) brew kettle developed a dark spot and upon closer inspection I discovered the sub-surface void had been exposed. Since there was no way to clean inside that void, I never brewed with that kettle again.

Concord BK Defect.jpg

I just use a stronger acid.
Should come right off

I use a probably weaker one. I cover the base with starsan and let it soak for 30 minutes or so. When I come back a microfibre cloth nearly always removes it quickly.
Star San will work as a concentrate, but there are cheaper options.
Just grab a pound of citric acid and make up some of that for those cleaning issues.

You can also boil water with dishwashing liquid in the pot.
Works pretty well. I use teepol which is an unscented soap (generally used as surface tension breaker when spraying)

Paginate? Not sure I understand what you mean?
Do you mean Passivation? If so, that would require more specific concentration levels and time.

Yes...thanks spell czech...I wrote that during my first cup of coffee.

Really though...more time and stronger?

Sure, add to some hot water an let it sit for a while.
Should come right off.
The acid I use, when diluted 1 oz per gallon, gets met to under 2 ph and I just pour a bit on straight!
Maybe not the smartest thing to do on my part, but it works wonders.
Oh, and it'll melt plastic brushes almost instantly! Haha

Sure, add to some hot water an let it sit for a while.
Should come right off.
The acid I use, when diluted 1 oz per gallon, gets met to under 2 ph and I just pour a bit on straight!
Maybe not the smartest thing to do on my part, but it works wonders.
Oh, and it'll melt plastic brushes almost instantly! Haha

strong stuff. what do you use?

Back