Expanded Yeast Pack

Buckzilla

Premium Member
Reaction score
I ordered a few types of yeast smack packs and when they delivered today, one of them was completely expanded. I assume I’ll have to brew with this one immediately or can it still be added back to the refrigerator till the weekend. Not sure how long it will last at this stage.

was it shipped in a cool pack? not sure I would use it, but if you want to save it, I would get it in a starter right away. some fresh wort should keep it fresh and alive for a few more days.
It was shipped in a cool pack but I ordered 5 smack packs and there was one cool pack. Guess I’ll have to get a starter going sooner than I wanted.

Is a packet worth the batch? Just a thought...especially when your supplier will most likely cover the loss.

My bad, not a smack pack but a standard Omega. Never had a pack that tight with pressure so hopefully it’s still good. If only I was smart enough the keep the magnet spinning on the stir plate…

My bad, not a smack pack but a standard Omega. Never had a pack that tight with pressure so hopefully it’s still good. If only I was smart enough the keep the magnet spinning on the stir plate…

My trick to get the stir bar spinning is to center it on the bottom of the flask or jug. Then carefully place it on the stir plate. Then, with the speed set to minimum, plug in the stir plate. And, unless it's a large starter or I see yeast accumulating on the bottom, I leave the speed at or close to minimum. You only need to keep the yeast in suspension.

Back