Force Carbonating Keg at room temperature.

Sambrewer PA

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just completed kegging two 2 1/2 gallon kegs. I am able to chill one keg in a refrigerator so I will be able to force carbonate at 40 degrees. The other keg will be at room temperature. I was hoping someone would know how to force carbonate at 70 degrees.

If you're not going to drink it for a while, I'd suggest carbonating it with priming sugar
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I am taking my beer to a party for the weekend and I can't wait the two weeks to naturally carbonate with priming sugar.

Getting it right @ room temperature is difficult.
Can you swap it out with the other one after it's carbed up properly?

They process is the same, just at higher temps, the co2 won't go into solution as fast. Higher pressure and rocking the keg can help. But if it will be properly carbed up? Doubtful. Mine usually require a week in my kegerator

I just completed kegging two 2 1/2 gallon kegs. I am able to chill one keg in a refrigerator so I will be able to force carbonate at 40 degrees. The other keg will be at room temperature. I was hoping someone would know how to force carbonate at 70 degrees.
If you are carbonating to 2.6 volumes at 40 F (13 psi) then at 60 F you need 25 psi. (My chart doesn't go up to 70.)

Force carbonating requires double or triple the final pressure, otherwise it takes about a week. That means at 70° F you might need 100 psi, which seems a little high for a keg rated at 130. Be careful, but those are the numbers.

I usually force carb at 30psi for three days and then turn down to 10psi. It takes another day for it to calm down before you get beer and not just foam. That is at 38F though

If I'm in a hurry I'll hook the gas (20-30 psi@65F) to the out dip tube and shake/roll it until I can't hear any more gas glerping in.. It takes about a half hour at 65F. It's difficult to over carb at room temp.

It works just fine, just takes longer. I force carbonate at 3 bars, keg upright, no agitation, and at 4 C it takes 15 hours, at 12 C 20 hours and at 21 C 38 hours to get it to 2.5 vols.

The first (and last) time I tried agitation something got agitated loose and I had a pressurized leak, I'd rather wait a bit longer than risk that. Unless I really have some firm commitment to meet and it just can't wait...

Back