Spelt

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the diastatic power of Spelt Malt? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone ever use it? I was going to use it tonight in my American Wheat but didn't because I wasn't sure it would not convert.

I've done three beers that have all been 100% spelt malt.

SMaSH IPA used 5 lbs Spelt (and 0.5 lbs lactose) on a 2.5 gal batch, 62% mash conversion and 54% brewhouse efficiency, gravity on the day was 1.048

SMaSH IPA used 5 lbs Spelt (and 0.5 lactose, different hop this time) 51% mash conversion and 52% brewhouse efficiency, gravity on the day was 1.048

HefeDinkel if you will, 4 lbs of Spelt and 150 grams Dextrose, 63% mash conversion and 64% brewhouse efficiency, gravity on the day was 1.043.

Also, I recommend milling a little finer than usual. Spelt has big honkin kernels, and my grains the first time around just sunk like concrete in the mash tun. It's so tough and hard like wheat, that I think half of my efficiency issues stemmed from poor crush, but also it could just be low DP on the malt.

Or try step mashing to get some better conversion and efficiency points, but with that being said, Spelt can kick out some serious haze and fluff in a beer when doing a single infusion. If you do a protein rest, it might detract from the malt's profile in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

So it looks like the DP is pretty low with Spelt. Maybe I'll use it as an adjunct in a NEIPA in the near future. Like maybe this weekend.

I use Spelt Malt from a craft maltster in PA. On their product sheet, they list the DP (°L) as 115.

I use Spelt Malt from a craft maltster in PA. On their product sheet, they list the DP (°L) as 115.
Thank you! It is strange that the info out there says you can use it up to 80 - 90% in a beer but didn't list a DP.

Thank you! It is strange that the info out there says you can use it up to 80 - 90% in a beer but didn't list a DP.
Other notes from the maltster:
Pale Spelt Malt (3.0L) - Deer Creek Malthouse

Nutty and sweet with notes of clove and fresh bread. Slightly higher protein and lower gluten content than wheat, Pale Spelt improves foam retention, mouth-feel, and complexity in all beer styles. It is a brewing favorite in saison, hazy pale ale, and traditional wheat recipes. Pale Spelt malt has distinct dry, nutty flavor in all food and beverage applications.

Recommended Utilization: Brewing: <30%

It is a mainstay for me in my Farmhouse/Saison recipe (≈25%), which, with a little luck, I will be brewing this weekend. :)

Other notes from the maltster:
Pale Spelt Malt (3.0L) - Deer Creek Malthouse

Nutty and sweet with notes of clove and fresh bread. Slightly higher protein and lower gluten content than wheat, Pale Spelt improves foam retention, mouth-feel, and complexity in all beer styles. It is a brewing favorite in saison, hazy pale ale, and traditional wheat recipes. Pale Spelt malt has distinct dry, nutty flavor in all food and beverage applications.

Recommended Utilization: Brewing: <30%

It is a mainstay for me in my Farmhouse/Saison recipe (≈25%), which, with a little luck, I will be brewing this weekend. :)
I appreciate the info. I'm now comfortable using it....in something.

Yeah id use it in conjunction with barley or wheat malt to boost the DP and help with conversion.
Sounds like some interesting flavours and high protine content would push the foam stability and haze contribution.

I'm gonna use in My Beach Comber IPA. Throw in some pure Guava juice and grapefruit peel, strata and southern passion hops. My latest experiment.

Back