All grain requires more acid than BIAB

loebrygg

Premium Member
Reaction score
Why does the calculator want me to add more acid to the mash then I select All grain vs. BIAB
given the same amount of mashing water?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 12.12.14.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 12.12.14.png
    386.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 12.12.25.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 12.12.25.png
    387.5 KB · Views: 41
Extract has all of the water additions included when it is boiled down into LME or DME. All grain, is all grain....starting from scratch.

Why does the calculator want me to add more acid to the mash then I select All grain vs. BIAB
given the same amount of mashing water?
That is weird sounds like another one for @Pricelessbrewing

Biab is all grain it's just a method of brewing nothing changes in regards to the mashing basics it's still grain in contact with mash liquor it's just the grain is contained in a fabric bag or stainless basket.

I never understood why they have an entry for BIAB and one for All Grain. It's the same thing. BIAB is all grain. It's not clear what brewers friend is saying is the difference. It's not extract and anyway it has a drop down for extract. Maybe they mean BIAB is extract t+ specialty grains in a bag? I've always selected BIAB as my method for all grain brewing on this site. Maybe someone knows?

I'm getting the same thing, but it seems I have to save and come back to the recipe for the calculation to change.

I'm curious if the calculator is assuming on BIAB you're doing full volume, and for All Grain you're splitting your mash and sparge resulting in a lower mash thickness (thicker mash). Thus the numbers should be off? 7.75 gal of mash vs 5 gal of mash for example.

I'm getting the same thing, but it seems I have to save and come back to the recipe for the calculation to change.

I'm curious if the calculator is assuming on BIAB you're doing full volume, and for All Grain you're splitting your mash and sparge resulting in a lower mash thickness (thicker mash). Thus the numbers should be off? 7.75 gal of mash vs 5 gal of mash for example.
Accept you'd input a sparge step in the recipe calculator noo_O? So it would only assume full volume If no sparge step.
Then again it would just calculate loss on grain absorption anyway so no difference?

Yup I think it would be interesting to know the differences in parameters between All Grain or Biab setting in the recipe Calc.

I speculate that BIAB grain has less mobility (in the water) than All-Grain grain.
Can't imagine why that matters though.

I speculate that BIAB grain has less mobility (in the water) than All-Grain grain.
Can't imagine why that matters though.
Maybe.
So all grain mash uses a perforated plate at bottom of mash tun and or a bazooka style mesh screen over pickup pipe.

Biab or all in ones are either fabric filters (grain is still loosely held in grain bed) or stainless steel mesh filter.

Maybe maybe there is more losses in the All Grain 2/3 vessal systems through dead spaces at bottom of tun/ pipework but the grain/water ratios or way the enzymes can access the starches are the same in my opinion.

I thought it was more about the brewing steps in the brew session feature.

I thought it was more about the brewing steps in the brew session feature.
Ok well that makes sence.

@Pricelessbrewing
Is there any different brewing calculations the software does in regards to mashing when it comes to the All Grain or Biab selection in the software?

I can see equipment profile wise there would be some glaringly obvious differences but in the actual mash at out scale o_O?

The recipe builder assumes that BIAB is full volume by default, and all grain has a sparge step.

They're both all grain though, and I agree. We need to do a better job on separating equipment from process, similarly with the "late additions", it should be boil step like the hop additions tied to a specific step and time not the generic "kettle".

The difference you're seeing is due to the total infusion volume in the QWR for that recipe, looking at the screenshots I can see there had to be a sparge step in the all grain version since the strike volume is 12L but the preboil volume is 14L.

Back