Hop packet labels

Basquebrewing

Trial Member
Reaction score
I know this isn´t a huge issue but why do brew shops put the labels of hop packets at the top where it is cut off when first opened. It would save me a little effort if they put the labels at the bottom. Just complaining

Is it a suitable package where you could cut off the bottom instead?

i usually only cut off a corner or so even if using the whole bag. but if I don't use the whole bag i roll it up tightly and put it in a ziploc bag. and then into a container in the freezer.

I always had to open everything up and unroll it to see which hops were which. But cutting the bottom and rolling it so that the hop name appears on the outside of the roll, it'll save at least a little bit of hassle and messing around

Yeah the bottom could be the answer that was staring and waiting to slap me in the face for being stupid. Thanks

after going through the same issues countless times, I bought a cheap labeler and relabel every bag I open, its been a life saver

LHBS puts their labels in the middle of the bag when repackaging to one-ounce packages. No matter where you cut, label is intact!

Hop Union and most other hop processors pack in a nitrogen environment.
If a shop is repackaging, the end consumer loses that benefit and ends up with a product that will oxidize and degrade faster.
Depending on how much you brew, you might benefit from buying pounds, but buying repackaged hops only helps the stores bottom line, not your beer.
FWIW
Brian

The Brew Mentor said:
Hop Union and most other hop processors pack in a nitrogen environment.
If a shop is repackaging, the end consumer loses that benefit and ends up with a product that will oxidize and degrade faster.
Depending on how much you brew, you might benefit from buying pounds, but buying repackaged hops only helps the stores bottom line, not your beer.
FWIW
Brian

Mentor, you don't know the LHBS Nosy is referring to. They sell the Hop Union packages in one ounce quantities, but for all the most frequently used varieties, they buy bulk, and then repackage in one ounce vacuum sealed bags, and only with the pellet hops, I believe. Better value for the customer.
The great Brew Hut goes through hops with the frequency of a cheap ham radio. At least in the one ounce packages. A couple days, to a week turnaround. If you buy for long storage, you can get the bigger, properly sealed bags. As you know there is only one hop harvest a year, so the hops you buy, could be a month to a year old depending on the season. Proper packaging is everything. The repackaged hops are made up as needed throughout the year. They are also part of the Dry Dock Brewery next door, and they buy their hops collectively.

You are correct in what you advise, and I'm not disagreeing with it. Only in the case of this particular LHBS, it sets the standard for quality.

You are correct in what you advise, and I'm not disagreeing with it. Only in the case of this particular LHBS, it sets the standard for quality.
[/quote]

The exception, not the rule.

I've seen many poor attempts at repackaging and there are things that we'll repackage at our store. That being said, our biggest concern when doing it is product integrity and freshness.

When traveling for retailer conferences I've visited some of the larger, more internet driven stores. A common theme is giant inventory and many thing that are not at their peak as far as freshness goes. For example, thousands of ounces of repackaged hops, a huge yeast selection of liquid yeasts all nearing their best by dates, etc.

I'm a homebrewer 1st, and my goal is to help homebrewers, new and old, to have the best experience and results they can.

Freshness and product handling can affect the results.

Just sayin,

Brian

GernBlanston said:

Right down to putting the labels in the middle of the bag so it won't get cut off when you open them!

And you are also absolutely right about how the ingredients are packaged influences the final outcome of the brew day. We are merely spoiled by having an excellent (and expanding) local homebrew shop.

Back