The 1 brewing ingredient you won't use again.

I will not use fresh figs again. Great taste but gummed up the system with pectin. The problem is the temperature needed to pasteurize seemed to cause pectin formation. On the other hand, we moved and no longer have a fig tree, so that problem is solved.
Could have added some pectic enzymes

I will not use fresh figs again. Great taste but gummed up the system with pectin. The problem is the temperature needed to pasteurize seemed to cause pectin formation. On the other hand, we moved and no longer have a fig tree, so that problem is solved.
I hear this when brewing with fruits in general and heating to pasturise heat above a certain temperature cause pectin haze formation.
I remember this from back when i had a crack at making cider from scratch.

Not a fan of special B. Hate raisins too. - I’ve used Kviek Espe yeast for IPA and really liked it. Ferment above 90f. I only hear talk of the Voss though

Not a fan of special B. Hate raisins too. - I’ve used Kviek Espe yeast for IPA and really liked it. Ferment above 90f. I only hear talk of the Voss though
Amen there are better Kviek varients out there.
I rekon Hornindal is a great fruity pair for juicy NEIPAs.
I fermented a lager with Skare Kviek it did take some lagering but it turned out super clean and lager like.
I can see Co Pitching as being a benefital use with Kviek using this in conjunction with a neutral high attenuator...

Yeah...it's like an off flavor that you can't quite put your finger on. I had a blond ale at a local brewery that I knew the brewers were quite proud of and when they asked me how I liked it I just couldn't be enthusiastic and told them that I just didn't really like it. When they mentioned it was a Kveik beer, it all made sense. I realized that it was a "clean" beer with no brewing faults but the yeast flavor was out of place and unpleasant.
That being said, I had a "summer lager" from a brewery I like in Tacoma, Washington and thought that it was quite good and pretty properly flavored. I suspect that they filtered or actually lagered for a reasonable length of time to lose the yeast flavor.

I think you and Beer Mentor nailed it. An off flavor. I posted that I thought I had an infection and it would be a dumper ( https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1218888/citiva-50 ) I put it in the frig to see if time would improve it and still have some. It mellowed a bit but still has that off flavor.

Im adding bergamot hops to this list. When i get home I'm throwing the rest in the trash

Give them to another brewer. They might like them although I have not heard of bergamot hops
Described online as "orange af." I'd agree there but its kind of a vegetal, synthetic like orange flavor, not a citrusy orange. Kind of like Orange flavor Gatorade vs. Orange Juice. Comes off sort of tart too. i think i ruined this wit with it. maybe it will mellow out some more.

Back