Dark Mild.

With roast malts one person's astringent undrinkable mess is another persons warm toasty roasted delight. Cold steeped or capped leaves me feeling sad, so I'm with you on the mashing the roast malts for the full 60 minutes. But I like roast flavours more than most.

I'll go even one further, bought a local stout that was very roasted, that day it gave me indigestion and didn't care for it, the next day it was very good and a smooth roast flavor, everyone's taste can change

This will be my first glycol fermentation batch this weekend!

@Josh Hughes man your killing me here whats your take on this one mate.
You brewed any English Dark Mild brew?

Either way I'm not dropping into the HB store so will brew with what I've got

This will be my first glycol fermentation batch this weekend!

@Josh Hughes man your killing me here whats your take on this one mate.
You brewed any English Dark Mild brew?

Either way I'm not dropping into the HB store so will brew with what I've got
86% MO
10% Crystal of any kind or mix
4% chocolate or roast
20 ibu English hop at 60 minutes
English yeast
Ferment a week at room temp then transfer
Aim 3.5%-3.8%

sorry just seen

Now you've all got me thinking that I need to brew one soon!
I've been using London ale yeast that would pair well with this profile.
I bet the last time I brewed this style was 10 or 12 years ago, so I'll have to research it again before brewing. That being said, I don't recall as much crystal as @Josh Hughes suggested?
10% seems like a lot to me, but I may just be a bit drier in preference.
I do like the underlying raisin notes and would use some C 120

It can per the style. Many recipes in the brewing magazines have that much.

I've been looking around on here alot of dark mild use crystal 120 and some lower lovibond crystal 60 sorta lines up with heathies recipie.
I've just gone with crystal 120 and some imperial malt (wanna use it up) it's a low lovibond crystal malt descriptor is full bodied flavour biscuity notes.
I've gone 10% crystal if not more if you include imperial malt in it.
I think this along with high mash temp higher chloride ratio 2:1 and with the flaked wheat should provide a nice malty bready body to the bevvy.

David heath use s04 in his run.
I rekon a low attenuator or maltose negative yeast S33 maybe @AHarper likes that one might leave some nice body to it.

Low alcohol flavourful roasty beer who doesn't want to drink that :)

I've been looking around on here alot of dark mild use crystal 120 and some lower lovibond crystal 60 sorta lines up with heathies recipie.
I've just gone with crystal 120 and some imperial malt (wanna use it up) it's a low lovibond crystal malt descriptor is full bodied flavour biscuity notes.
I think this along with high mash temp higher chloride ratio 2:1 and with the flaked wheat should provide a nice malty bready body to the bevvy.

I rekon a low attenuator or maltose negative yeast S33 maybe @AHarper likes that one might leave some nice body to it.

Your recipe looks good to me and should drink nicely.
Keep us in the loop as to how it comes out.
Now I have to go through my old paper recipes to see if I can find what I brewed so long ago! Haha
cheers

Yes Ben, I have used it a lot - well 9 times but I have used US-05 10 times and S-04 14 times. I haven't been specifically picking the yeast for taste profiles more the attenuation levels and alcohol tolerance. Maybe I should be more choosy? I haven't made that many beers that I can say I have noted a trend in flavours - my beers are either crap, good or WOW! - how much the yeast affects that scale I have yet to investigate. What have you done? I now have to take more notes.

86% MO
10% Crystal of any kind or mix
4% chocolate or roast
20 ibu English hop at 60 minutes
English yeast
Ferment a week at room temp then transfer
Aim 3.5%-3.8%

sorry just seen
This thread has me locked into brewing a Dark Mild, probably sometime in the summer. The recipe I came up with:
85% MO
7.5 British Medium Crystal (65L)
5% Pale Chocolate
2.5% C120
EKG
WY1318

3.5%
19 IBU
15-16 SRM

So pretty much right in line with your thinking! Funny that I spent hours and hours researching and agonizing, when I should have just waited for your post above. :D

Yes Ben, I have used it a lot - well 9 times but I have used US-05 10 times and S-04 14 times. I haven't been specifically picking the yeast for taste profiles more the attenuation levels and alcohol tolerance. Maybe I should be more choosy? I haven't made that many beers that I can say I have noted a trend in flavours - my beers are either crap, good or WOW! - how much the yeast affects that scale I have yet to investigate. What have you done? I now have to take more notes.
Well my only time brewing with that yeast your Belgian Dubble and yes it left plenty of residual sweetness In the beer it seemed to me anyway.

I watched Michael Keens vid on dark mild he went from memory marris otter then 6% Amber malt, light chocolate malt and dark crystal i think it was he used wlp002 English ale yeast I think that's So4?

Well my only time brewing with that yeast your Belgian Dubble and yes it left plenty of residual sweetness In the beer it seemed to me anyway.

I watched Michael Keens vid on dark mild he went from memory marris otter then 6% Amber malt, light chocolate malt and dark crystal i think it was he used wlp002 English ale yeast I think that's So4?

Not exactly.
Brewing_yeast_tree_Oct_2019.pdf (suregork.com)

I think you would get better attenuation out of S-04 and maybe a bit more English character out of WLP002.

And I think WLP002 would be a great yeast for this beer.

Just saw this thread. Yours looks good! Here’s my version, which turned out delicious:

HOMEBREW RECIPE:
Title: Quite Quite Indubitably Mild
Author: Inspired by Heath’s Mild Man

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Dark Mild
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4.55 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.035
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)
No Chill: 60 minute extended hop boil time

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.038
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 3.51%
IBU (tinseth): 21.12
SRM (morey): 22.3
Mash pH: 5.61

FERMENTABLES:
4.75 lb - Bohemian Pilsner Malt (77.9%)
4.8 oz - Caramel / Crystal 60L (4.9%)
4.8 oz - Caramel / Crystal 80L (4.9%)
4.8 oz - Crisp Amber Malt (4.9%)
4.8 oz - Pale Chocolate (4.9%)
2.4 oz - Midnight Wheat Malt (2.5%)

HOPS:
10 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 8.24
18 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 12.88

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 158 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4.9 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 167 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 0.2 gal

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 67 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
Method: co2
Amount: 11.25 psi
CO2 Level: 2 Volumes

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Balanced Profile
Ca2: 80
Mg2: 5
Na: 25
Cl: 75
SO4: 80
HCO3: 100

Just saw this thread. Yours looks good! Here’s my version, which turned out delicious:

HOMEBREW RECIPE:
Title: Quite Quite Indubitably Mild
Author: Inspired by Heath’s Mild Man

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Dark Mild
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4.55 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.035
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)
No Chill: 60 minute extended hop boil time

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.038
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 3.51%
IBU (tinseth): 21.12
SRM (morey): 22.3
Mash pH: 5.61

FERMENTABLES:
4.75 lb - Bohemian Pilsner Malt (77.9%)
4.8 oz - Caramel / Crystal 60L (4.9%)
4.8 oz - Caramel / Crystal 80L (4.9%)
4.8 oz - Crisp Amber Malt (4.9%)
4.8 oz - Pale Chocolate (4.9%)
2.4 oz - Midnight Wheat Malt (2.5%)

HOPS:
10 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 8.24
18 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 12.88

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 158 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4.9 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 167 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 0.2 gal

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 67 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
Method: co2
Amount: 11.25 psi
CO2 Level: 2 Volumes

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Balanced Profile
Ca2: 80
Mg2: 5
Na: 25
Cl: 75
SO4: 80
HCO3: 100
Thanks for chiming in interesting choice of base malt for this beer. It sure does look like a tasty beer.
I see you no chill as well and have set the Ibus at 21 makes me comfortable mines the same.

I see youve got your extended boil at 60mins i have mine at 20mins thinking 20mins until wort drops below "supposed" isomorisation Temp of 80c.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in interesting choice of base malt for this beer. It sure does look like a tasty beer.
I see you no chill as well and have set the Ibus at 21 makes me comfortable mines the same.

I see youve got your extended boil at 60mins i have mine at 20mins thinking 20mins until wort drops below "supposed" isomorisation Temp of 80c.

Cheers
Higher mash temp might have made it a bit more full flavored, rather than too dry.

Higher mash temp might have made it a bit more full flavored, rather than too dry.
One last thing I see your water profile being ballanced I'm aiming at 2:1 chloride to sulphate maybe this too can give a more malty flavour as well.

I'm really looking forward to getting this one mashed in tomorrow :).

Back