Hello from Mississippi

JohnnyK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Greetings! I'm a novice in Jackson, Mississippi. Looking forward to learning from the masters here!

Welcome! I'm a 20 year novice, myself.

Same here: 20+ yr novice as well.

Whatcha makin' at the moment? What have you made recently, or anything interesting?

I have a Christmas Ale that I'll be racking today. I also have a SMaSH lager almost ready to bottle. One of my favorites is my Kölsch.

Love Kolsches (sp?). The local brewery here (that I volunteer at from time to time) just made an awesome Kolsch and it has been one of my favorites they've made. I actually got to help make it!! The owner is a friend of mine, so I have no shortage of beer available, but I still like making my own. Once you perfect your craft, there's nothing better than designing exactly what you want and then actually making it happen.

Does the Christmas Ale have spices in it? I just used coriander for the first time ever in my latest brew. Orange peel will probably be the next new additive I try.

I have seen that SMaSH lager mentioned a few times, but I've never heard of it before. What is it?

SMaSH is short for single malt, single hop. Very simple brew. 2 row and Cascade, for example.

My Christmas Ale is from Charlie P.'s book, page 225. It has honey, cinnamon, ginger root, and orange peel in it.

jeffpn said:
SMaSH is short for single malt, single hop. Very simple brew. 2 row and Cascade, for example.

My Christmas Ale is from Charlie P.'s book, page 225. It has honey, cinnamon, ginger root, and orange peel in it.
I still have his books, good memories.

Something to be said for simpler beers. I tend to overcomplicate things, but I love this hobby and don't mind a bit.

Greetings and welcome! Tell us what your favorite brew is!

Pig Sty Brewery said:
Greetings and welcome! Tell us what your favorite brew is!

My dad Charlie taught me there's a few different types of good beer:

A good cold beer is awfully nice, and a good warm beer will do if a cold one's not available, but the best beer of all is a free beer!

Back