Complex Fermentables Support

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are many times these days when I'm making a beer that I'm adding fermentables in secondary, at bottling, etc. The recipe builder is not good at handling this - either I have to do two recipes, one with and one without the complex additions or make a bunch of manual calculations. For example, I'm doing a pumpkin peach ale now with late-addition peaches, 10#. If I put them into the calculator, my efficiencies and calculations are way off. I then have to do my main mash as a recipe to determine all my brewing parameters and efficiency, then add in the peaches to get my total fermentables and ABV. Another example is the Belgian technique called "Le Dosage" where sugars are dissolved, boiled to sanitize, cooled then added three or four days into fermentation. The recipe editor does not handle this gracefully.

A possible implementation: adding a check box to the fermentables called "Mashed", defaulted to checked. If unchecked, the fermentable would be assumed to be added during fermentation. It would apply to the total ABV but not the brew day parameters such as conversion or brew day efficiency.

I would like to see this as well. I just experienced this exact thing in this last batch. It was a group barrel beer, and was very complicated to try and share the recipe and have them understand what the gravities look like during the brewing process and after the fermentation additions.

Back