Blow off tube preference

pappabell

Trial Member
Reaction score
What blow off tube do you all prefer?And Why?Large that fits snugly in the top of a carboy,or 1/2 id that fits a standard air lock.

I use the the one-half inch ID tube that fits the center of a three piece air lock. So far it has worked well for the brews that required a blow off set up. I'll most likely stay with this size tube until it clogs and blows a mess.

I use an airlock tube as well. Works for me. I'll skip the essay part of your question! :D

I stick a length of vinyl tubing directly through the grommet in the lid. I find that when I need a blow-off tube, it's the bottom end of the airlock that gets clogged first. Whatever works to keep the lid on the bucket and the yeast off the ceiling :)

I've also found that hitting my volumes accurately means I'm not adding that extra quart or two to the fermenter... nothing like the correct amount of headspace.

-PZ

I use a larger fermenter such as an 8-gallon Speidel or an 8 gallon winemaking bucket, ported with a valve to minimize the need for racking.

I use 1/2" id silicone hose connected to cam-lock disconnects

Attachments

• WP_20151025_002.gif
    WP_20151025_002.gif
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,186
Large OD hose. Fits the hole, and will never restrict pressure or clog.

Attachments

• IMG_4429 (427x640).jpg
    IMG_4429 (427x640).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,152
Ozarks - what are you fermenting in? I like the look. It appears easy to clean if that lid comes off and less likely to cut me if I bump it.

Are they commercially available?

I just bought a couple of these at my local home brew shop, he said grape juice was stored in them originally and as for clean up, its great ! the plastic doesn't let hardly anything stick to it and is a breeze to clean up
I'm not sure how many are left

https://www.homebrewery.com/Beer/Beer-H ... lon-barrel

oh the weldless fittings are my design and do not come with the barrels

GernBlanston said:
Large OD hose. Fits the hole, and will never restrict pressure or clog.
You get blowoff with that much headspace?!? Yikes! Or did it blowoff that much...?

PZ said:
I've also found that hitting my volumes accurately means I'm not adding that extra quart or two to the fermenter... nothing like the correct amount of headspace.
That's my philosophy. Or, buying larger fermenters. Either way, no more messy blowoff. I know some people really believe in letting that "bad stuff" out via blowing off a lot of stuff, but better techniques over the years and keeping more of the solids out of the fermenters means less stuff to have to blow off. Besides, I don't like losing anything and if it's all good the stuff that's going into the fermenter, I only get good stuff out. :)

Since I ferment in a plastic bucket, I use a 1/4" poly tube inserted into the single rubber grommet that penetrates the lid. After fermentation slows down I pull out the tube and insert the standard airlock into the grommet.

EbonHawk said:
You get blowoff with that much headspace?!? Yikes! Or did it blowoff that much...?

I know some people really believe in letting that "bad stuff" out via blowing off a lot of stuff, but better techniques over the years and keeping more of the solids out of the fermenters means less stuff to have to blow off. Besides, I don't like losing anything and if it's all good the stuff that's going into the fermenter, I only get good stuff out. :)

Yes.
I get a blow off sometimes, even with that head space. With Cal Ale, or a Belgian strain, there is enough activity to cause a rather robust krauzen. If I tried to contain it with just an airlock, the pressure build up, would blow the airlock off. Ask me how I know. I have cleaned up enough yeast mess to realize that a blow off tube is necessary. You might think not, but, you are not cleaning up the mess.
There are two types of home brewers, those who have mopped their ceiling, and those that will mop their ceiling someday.
When you attach a large bore blow off tube, the pressure never has a chance to build, and the krauzen might climb a few inches into the tube. With an air lock, the constriction causes pressure, causing krausen to enter the airlock, causing more restriction, causing more pressure, resulting in the airlock being pushed out of the neck of the carboy, causing a freaking mess. Not every time, but often enough to have a blow off tube handy.
Also, its not "bad stuff". Only superfluous yeast with nowhere to go. Its not something I want in my finished beer. It don't matter if it leaves now, or later, It will have to go eventually.

No problem. I watch all my fermentations like a hawk ( ;-) ) and have had to do many a mid-ferm adjustment. I have kept pretty good notes over the years and I know ahead of time which yeasts and which combinations of musts/worts will usually cause problems like that, so I'm ready if one gets out of hand.

Brew on!

most of the time the so called blow off is relative to the size of the tube going out and how full the vessel is, even though I have twice the head space I use the hoses to release the co2 faster, no reason to have an 1/8" tube no matter how long it ferments, as long as you don't open the vessel co2 will stay in the top until it needs to overflow and its just easier to manage

The CO2 should stay on top as long as you don't open the lid violently. As in, just ease it off if you need to look, or leave it laying on top of the rim instead of "clamped" down and locked in place.

Back