ESB Hop Suggestions

Brendan Dougherty

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Brewed my first ESB recently and would like to ask for an opinion about my bittering hops. The final product was really good, and I was pleased overall, but I missed my FG by a bit (ended 1.020...aiming for ~1.013) and the balance seemed off. Specifically, the amount of bitterness seems just a bit high. My question is: should I use different hops and the same schedule, or reduce the initial hop time to reduce bitterness? Thanks for the suggestions!

Grain Bill:
11lbs - Maris Otter
13oz- Crystal 50-60
60min boil
Hops Schedule:
1oz Willamette 60min
1oz Willamette 15min
1oz Tettnang 5min.

Wyest London ESB yeast.

I typically shoot for around 35-40 IBU's for an ESB. Your hop schedule looks to put you in that range. However, you need to keep in mind how long it takes to cool the wort. Your late additions can continue to isomerize your hops until you get the temperature down to 175°F or so (although there is a lot of discussion about exactly when isomerization stops). If it takes you 15 minutes to cool to 170°F, you could be adding 10-15 additional IBU's.

As far as hop variety, I like the Kent Golding for ESB's, but I'm sure others have their favorites.

I go for 25-30 ibu at 60 minutes and another 5 ibu at 10 minutes. I then add half the amount I added at 10 minutes at flameout. I like Target or challenger at 60 and goldings for the rest.

Not exactly answering your question, but note that hops bitterness mutes noticeably after 4-6 weeks. If you tasted it really fresh, it might change a bit in time.

Of course, the process continues, and in many months/few years, it often changes for the worse.

Not exactly answering your question, but note that hops bitterness mutes noticeably after 4-6 weeks. If you tasted it really fresh, it might change a bit in time.

Of course, the process continues, and in many months/few years, it often changes for the worse.

I find that I enjoy my British style beers more after a good 4-6 months of age (on average). Maybe this is because then they taste like they've been sitting on the shelf for about as long as the commercial versions that I've come to enjoy. :D

Well if my final gravity was high and bitterness was still too much I'd cut back on the 60 min addition some. The residual sugars should have covered that bitterness more in theory so an lower FG would have made it more bitter again.

That's the thought process I'd take on it.
Your yeast choice might be the culprit for the high FG or just the stuck mash curse of 1.020 .

I typically shoot for around 35-40 IBU's for an ESB. Your hop schedule looks to put you in that range. However, you need to keep in mind how long it takes to cool the wort. Your late additions can continue to isomerize your hops until you get the temperature down to 175°F or so (although there is a lot of discussion about exactly when isomerization stops). If it takes you 15 minutes to cool to 170°F, you could be adding 10-15 additional IBU's.

As far as hop variety, I like the Kent Golding for ESB's, but I'm sure others have their favorites.
I had not considered the impact of my cooling time. I will track that moving forward to see how long that is taking me. Thanks for the note!

Well if my final gravity was high and bitterness was still too much I'd cut back on the 60 min addition some. The residual sugars should have covered that bitterness more in theory so an lower FG would have made it more bitter again.

That's the thought process I'd take on it.
Your yeast choice might be the culprit for the high FG or just the stuck mash curse of 1.020 .
Yeah...I wondered about the yeast choice as well...but I thought I better look at adjusting one thing at a time, so I thought maybe the hops first. If still not balanced and a bit too bitter...Ill try cutting back at the 60 min. Thanks for the note!

Just to put in my two pence worth here, I have been using no-chill with my 20 litre batches and as long as you add 30 mins extended boil time in the recipe builder you can can get a good idea of what the impact on bitterness is. Means less money on hops too.
I am a fan of East Kent Goldings, but Challenger and Fuggles are also good choices.

Back