Dry Hopped Cider

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Any experiences or thoughts? I'm really enjoying the cider making process and would like to try something different. Just bag some pellets and pitch them into the fermenter, or the keg?

A local cidery dry hops their cider and calls it "India Pressed Apple" (so they can put IPA on the label lol). It's delicious, and mixes great with whiskey :) from their website:

Dry-Hopped primarily with Ekuanot Hops to impart a less bitter and hop-forward profile, IPA or India Pressed Apple blends the tartness of fresh-pressed apples with the slightly sweet hop notes of passion fruit, grapefruit, and citrus.

I must use a version of that 'IPA' - that's genius :)

I have some Amarillo that might work, or Cascade maybe?

I must use a version of that 'IPA' - that's genius :)

I have some Amarillo that might work, or Cascade maybe?
For sure, I think any aroma hop is going to work well, especially if it's fruity/citrusy/tropical. I'd stay away from the spicy/woody/herbal hops, personally

Update

The dry hopped cider is in the keg now and has carbed up well.

I went with a Citra/Cascade/Amarillo combo on pitching day and then the same on day 5. Result is a little unusual, and that's being polite :)
There's a real sharp hoppy bitterness that isn't nice at all which I think comes from the early addition. I knew that when it went into the keg so I gave it a dose of Amarillo and Huell Melon to see if that might just give some aromatics and maybe disguise the bitterness a little. It did give some aromatics so it's quite pleasant on the nose but the bitterness is still very present.

The cider is very hazy as well although that doesn't bother me at all, in fact I quite like it.

An interesting experiment so far and really not what I expected. Will see if it mellows as it develops. I have another batch fermenting now and if I hop that one it will probably be just in the keg. More research needed for sure.

The fruit ciders are excellent now. I have a Mango one and an Orange one that are very much good enough so not all of the experiments fail :)

Back