Need suggestions for hop schedule

pappabell

Trial Member
Reaction score
I`m brewing a IPA using Citra,Pioneer,and Riwaka Hops.Need suggestions on what hop schedule you would use for this beer,Thanks

For starters, what are you trying to achieve?

I want a strong IPA,but not a double.I want to showcase the riwaka.Thinking 2 oz.Citra at the beginning,2oz. pioneer early to middle of boil,and 3.3oz. riwaka at the end,no dry hop.........

In order to showcase the riwaka, and assuming a 1.060 - 1.070 OG, I would go with something like

60 min - 1oz - 1.5 oz Citra (need shoot for 45-55 IBU depending on OG)
10 min - 1oz Riwak (should be about 10 IBU)
0 - 2oz Riwaka

That should be about .8-1.2 BU/GU ratio and focus the aroma and flavor on the Riwaka. I don't think you need the pioneer, unless you are trying to give a second or supporting flavor to the Riwaka, then I would go with a half ounce in the 15-10 min range, adjusting the 10min Riwaka addition to keep in the BU/GU range above.

I'd think about the following schedule: First-wort with the Citra. Not familiar with Pioneer so I can't help you there. If it has a good flavor and you want the flavor, add the hop anywhere from 20 mins to about 5 mins, keeping in mind later gives you more flavor. The Riwaka, if it's what you want to showcase, should be late, 5 mins to 0 mins (whirlpool), perhaps as a dry hop if you want its aroma in addition to the flavor....

Short on answers, I know, but hopefully some ideas....

Thank-you very much you guys,Your replys are a big help

Back