Have i ruined my brew?

Dirty Horse

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

On the weekend, like a complete muppet - i put way too much malt extract in my brew. I wasn't concentrating and put 3kg in instead of 2kg in a 5 gallon batch.

I didn't realise till after the boil (added hops for an american style pale ale) - it was only when i took a sample from the fermenter to measure the OG I noticed it was way off the scale 1.120. It was then i realsied what I had done.

In order to rectify the damage I took out approx 3/4 gallon into a demijohn and topped the fermenter up with water approx to 5.5 gallons. I topped the demijohn up to a gallon and took samples from both - both read around 1.050 - both the 5 gallon and 1 gallon are frothing away nicely now.

However, my concern is that the hop recipe was for a 5 gallon batch and I have essentially stretched that to 6.5 gallons. How much of an effect will this have on the flavour? Will it dilute it too much?

The hop recipe was;
28g Cascade (8%) at 60 min
14g cascade at 15 min
14g centennial(11%) at 15 min
14g cascade at 5 min
14g centennial at 5min

Any advice or info on the potential consequences would be appreciated.

You're probably fine. Take a sample after fermentation and if you want a little more hops flavor or aroma, do a dry hop.

Back