Forgot to siphon beer into keg

Beartrap Brewery

Trial Member
Reaction score
File under stupid mistakes. I finally finished building my keezer and got into a hurry trying to keg my latest batch, which spent a little extra time in the fermenter waiting on my keezer build; not necessarily a bad thing. Anyway, in the rush I just dumped the beer into the keg, set up the CO2 tank, and got to carbonating. While I didn't wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night remembering I should've siphoned the beer into the keg, I did remember it a couple days later. Now I'm wondering how much of an affect is this going to have on the final beer? I know O2 is bad after fermentation begins, so I'm now trying to manage my expectations. Thanks.

Rob
Beartrap Brewery
______
Primary bottled: Big Dog Ale
Secondary Bottled: American Ale
Next up, Primary Keg: American IPA

how did you move the beer into the keg?, you say dumped but that would create a whole munch of oxygen so just purge every hour for at least for hours let it fill up then purge the co2 because oxygen floats to the top and it will be gone in no time, the longer you wait the more it will fuse to the beer

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
how did you move the beer into the keg?, you say dumped but that would create a whole munch of oxygen so just purge every hour for at least for hours let it fill up then purge the co2 because oxygen floats to the top and it will be gone in no time, the longer you wait the more it will fuse to the beer

Yes, "dumped," not really a technical term. Actually, poured it rapidly through a funnel into the keg. Already purged the keg. Thanks.

I'd drink it sooner, rather then later. Oxygen causes staling issues in storing the beer. If its your first keg, then I'll guess it wont last long anyway.

just had that issue happen to me, beer taste like a rusty water pipe, hate to do it but down the drain

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
just had that issue happen to me, beer taste like a rusty water pipe, hate to do it but down the drain
Doesn't sound like staling. Staling is like wet paper/cardboard or sherry/vinous. Metallic or rust sounds more like metal contamination. And don't waste beer! Dump it on your yard, if nothing else. Soil microbes love the stuff.

actually I cant explain the taste properly but it did stall at 1020 worked on it too much and probably introduce too much oxygen but re-pitched and after a week of stalling was on day 22 and it had a white film on the top, guessing the start of a mild mold of some kind , cold crashed it and used gelatin and just tasted it and thinking hose or bad water taste guessing bacteria

Doesn't sound like staling. Staling is like wet paper/cardboard or sherry/vinous. Metallic or rust sounds more like metal contamination. And don't waste beer! Dump it on your yard, if nothing else. Soil microbes love the stuff.

here too many flies, having a hard time just getting through brew day without 100 flies pestering me almost like black mosquitoes when around home brew they dive bomb me, had to put a big fan pointing right on my just to get relief

And now the results of the unsiphoned beer...it's very good. Multiply compliments so far. I did vent the keg a couple times. Thanks for the help.

I am a huge fan of that auto siphon!

Auto-siphone? Ha...I have one; just need to remember to use it. By the way, making plans to build an electric brewery in my new house. I'm really excited.

Once you go electric, you will never want to brew another way. Good luck.

Back