One Step cleanser

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody have experience with One Step? The instructions claim rinsing is not necessary, has anyone used this product without rinsing?

Never tried it myself.

It seems to clean well, similar to oxiclean. I gave the bottles a small rinse just to be safe. There was definitely a cleanser-odor lingering in the bottles before I rinsed

Reading the non-5-star reviews, it seems to be an ok sanitizer and a mediocre cleaner. Marketed as a cleaner because 'sanitizer' is a more strictly-controlled thing. Dunno, never used it.

Must break down Into safe to consume compounds.
I didn't see the Active ingredient in it though.

We use an animal-safe cleaner at work that is environmentally friendly because it's hydrogen peroxide based, once it's exposed to light for a certain amount of time it breaks down into water. I think this cleaner must be similar. The bottles look pretty spotless, that's all I care about :D

We use an animal-safe cleaner at work that is environmentally friendly because it's hydrogen peroxide based, once it's exposed to light for a certain amount of time it breaks down into water. I think this cleaner must be similar. The bottles look pretty spotless, that's all I care about :D
You prolly don't want your brew to taste like cleaner either.

Back in my early days of brewing - when we were deconstructing the ark and burning that under the boil kettle - One Step was marketed as a Cleaner and Sanitizer in one. I used it a few times. But most folks said it was not as good a sanitizer as Star San. So I switched to generic oxy to clean and Star San to sanitize. It seemed like a good, but expensive, product and I had doubts about it as a full fledged sanitizer.

So after I used up a small jar of One Step I switched back to OxiClean Free (which had been my go to brewery cleaner). I think I might go back to One Step. It made my kettle shinier after cleanup and I appreciated the ecofriendly, no rinse aspect to it (though I did rinse it off every time, it was nice being able to do it outside in the yard without worrying about getting soap/chems into the soil.) It also made labels fall off of bottles just as effectively as OxiClean.

Back