pH meter question

Donoroto

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a cheap pH meter today, and the instructions say "Always keep the probe stored in water. Never let the probe dry out."

Is this typical?

Any ideas why it has to be kept wet (ostensibly forever)?

Mine's the same. I assuming there's a metal in the probe that oxidises easily.

Some of the pH probes utilize a reference electrode and a measurement electrode. Storing in solution prevents potential drying/leakage of the reference electrode. Check with the manufacturer on storage recommendations. Some some to use a buffered 7.0 pH solution, some may call for a 4. Most do not recommend storage in distilled water as ions from the reference electrode may leach into the water.

I bought a cheap pH meter today, and the instructions say "Always keep the probe stored in water. Never let the probe dry out."

Is this typical?

Yes it must be kept wet and in a storage solution. The bulb that measures ph is conductive based on free ions in solution. Those free ions are how it determines the ph. If it dries out or is stored in the wrong solution it will literally wear it out in days.

My probe is completely dry, dry as a bone actually! Has been for quite some time now!

Is this typical?

It's a thin membrane and if it dries out, the electrode no longer is permeable to the ions. It no longer works.

That's why I've resisted buying a new probe for mine it's just a PITA to maintain.

If I were a pro brewer knocking out a couple of batches a week yeah I'd spring for all the right gear but once a fortnight I'm happy for brewersfriend to predict my PH for me.

Thanks for responses. Wet it is!

I got a 7Pros cheapie from Amazon...<$20....my recall is that it calls for the unit to sit in water for like a minute before using..but I don't store it in water..maybe I should fight my chromosomal assignment and actually read the instructions! :rolleyes:

There we go..
20210521_105847.jpg

Last edited:
That's why I've resisted buying a new probe for mine it's just a PITA to maintain.

If I were a pro brewer knocking out a couple of batches a week yeah I'd spring for all the right gear but once a fortnight I'm happy for brewersfriend to predict my PH for me.
The one I got from Amazon actually has a liquid tight cap on it. Put 5-10ml of storage solution in the cap and close it. Doesn't dry out. I replace the solution everytime I brew

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082DZBJFB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_422SV3200F5BQCDJPWKB

I have an Apera PH60 I got cheap that I ordered a new probe for yesterday cause everything I stuck it in read around 7PH. I don't think I'm going to actually use it much but if I have it I should take care of it. I'm going to be a bit pissed if the new one does the same readings.

I have an Apera PH60 I got cheap that I ordered a new probe for yesterday cause everything I stuck it in read around 7PH. I don't think I'm going to actually use it much but if I have it I should take care of it. .

Stick it in some StarSan...should be 2ish if it's working.

I wonder if distilled water has a solid PH to reference to as well?

Probably safer than battery acid :rolleyes:
Distilled generally has some CO2 dissolved and is weakly acidic. Reference solutions are cheap and you need them to calibrate the meter.

Back