Oak Spiral in the Keg?

Brewer #334545

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I made a brown ale and threw a maple sugar oak spiral in the keg just to see how it turns out.
I drank half of the keg before adding and thought it would be a fun experiment to finish the last half.

the first 10 days, the oak took over and I was getting a strong tongue depressor / popsicle stick taste but its now mellowed out and I'm getting close to the maple flavor coming through.

I enjoyed this beer and plan on making a second batch relatively soon but I'm kind of torn on the best way to add the spiral on a full batch. I have 2 ideas.

1. adding oak spiral to primary. I will be using US-05 again not sure if that a yeast to leave beer on for 4 weeks or not
or
2. tying a knot with dental floss and dropping in the keg.
will probably get a slight CO2 leak with floss on lid o-ring but can remove when maple gets to flavor.

i know the "proper" way would be just to add to one keg and transfer to another when flavor gets there but cleaning kegs are not fun.

would like to hear others thoughts.

-Will

I've never tried wood in my beer so I'm curious to see how it goes.

Four weeks isn't unreasonable if you've got healthy yeast, but do you need that long based on your first batch?
You've also got the option of adding the oak to the boil. Or creating a tincture of the oak and adding it to the keg.

Just tread lightly with oak, as it has a relatively high tannin level. One maple spiral is obviously not too much.

Four weeks isn't unreasonable if you've got healthy yeast, but do you need that long based on your first batch?
You've also got the option of adding the oak to the boil. Or creating a tincture of the oak and adding it to the keg.
im not fully sure yet on time as the experiment is still on going.

the difference with this spiral is its a sugar maple spiral so its not the oak im after it puts in a maple flavor. that why im thinking a removable keg option would be best.

-Will

im not fully sure yet on time as the experiment is still on going.

the difference with this spiral is its a sugar maple spiral so its not the oak im after it puts in a maple flavor. that why im thinking a removable keg option would be best.

-Will
maple SYRUP flavor, my apologies.

I've heard people say good things about using fenugreek to give maple syrup flavour. Haven't tried it myselfyet.

Ok, so ignore the fenugreek idea.

Back