What are you doing with homebrew today?

Man oh man, what a brewday! Bottled my American Amber and brewed an American brown which I racked onto the amber yeast cake. I was on my feet a lot today, but I was pretty productive. Got 5 gal of RO water this morning at 8, started the mash by 10, went and ran errands during the mash, came home and started the boil, cleaned the kitchen between hop additions, and bottled the Amber while the new wort chilled. Racked the wort onto the yeast by 3 pm after chilling it to 64F. Now I'm pretending my dirty equipment does not exist...if I can't see it, it doesn't need to be cleaned right :D

Looking for bottles...I have a bunch somewhere. Need to find in the next week to bottle up some @AHarper pee. According to the tilt it hit 1.012 after sitting at 1.013 a few days. Recipe builder says 1.011, yeast has already performed At its average attenuation.

Looking for bottles...I have a bunch somewhere. Need to find in the next week to bottle up some @AHarper pee. According to the tilt it hit 1.012 after sitting at 1.013 a few days. Recipe builder says 1.011, yeast has already performed At its average attenuation.
Do you bottle 12 ounce, 500 ml, or larger bottles?

Clean that equipment that you’re pretending not to see @Sunfire96 . You’ll be happy later that you did it sooner.
I got to it eventually :) extra fun twist to my day, the hot water heater broke :confused: plumbers are supposedly coming tomorrow. Cleaning brew kettles with cold water is not nearly as effective as hot lol

the hot water heater broke
@Sunfire96 Ugh. I didn't want to click 'like' on that one.

If it wasn't CA, I'd say try replacing it yourself. It is really not very technically challenging, and empty a 50 gallon water heater tank weighs about 60 pounds. But in the shaky state, there are requirements (and for damn good reason) to ensure it won't fall over when the earth moves, and that's important to get right.

Probably the hardest part is learning how to solder copper pipes, but there's even ways around that.

I mean, if you can clean a giraffe hoof, you can replace a water heater. The tank doesn't even need to be sedated...

@Sunfire96 Ugh. I didn't want to click 'like' on that one.

If it wasn't CA, I'd say try replacing it yourself. It is really not very technically challenging, and empty a 50 gallon water heater tank weighs about 60 pounds. But in the shaky state, there are requirements (and for damn good reason) to ensure it won't fall over when the earth moves, and that's important to get right.

Probably the hardest part is learning how to solder copper pipes, but there's even ways around that.

I mean, if you can clean a giraffe hoof, you can replace a water heater. The tank doesn't even need to be sedated...
Appreciate it Don, but we are renters and don't have to do jack about it except clear a path to the water closet :D

Appreciate it Don, but we are renters and don't have to do jack about it except clear a path to the water closet :D
Ha! Best of both worlds.

I try to be as self-reliant as I reasonably can. Waiting for a plumber isn't one of my things. Plus, in my house, you'd need to rent a Bobcat to clear that path.

Ha! Best of both worlds.

I try to be as self-reliant as I reasonably can. Waiting for a plumber isn't one of my things. Plus, in my house, you'd need to rent a Bobcat to clear that path.
Normally I enjoy DIY improvements but I don't even have the key that opens the door to the water heater :rolleyes:

Well racked my light lager yesterday(was planning on last week), a little low on CO2 right now, so I just spiked it with some sugar and bottled. After spending yesterday afternoon and this morning on the hops yard, there is hope that it will be finished soon. All the purchased rhizomes are now in the ground.

Dubbel is getting closer
B83C85A2-3C21-497A-BD8D-82893B528D19.png

Bottled an IPA, some kombucha, and weighing out grains for another run of the IPA with slightly tweaked ingredients for comparison. I'd like to brew this afternoon, but the plumbers that were supposed to be here Saturday were supposed to be here this morning at 830 PST and still aren't here. Free repairs are great, but the timing is abysmal

Back