5 gallon BIAB solutions for a 7 gallon kettle

well, 2.5 gallons for my setup is going big :)

using Brewfather, there is a setting for "top-up" and it looks like that's exactly what i need here. i changed my recipe to target 2.5g, instead of 2g, and it automatically scaled ingredients to that volume. then i adjusted "top-up" accordingly. only the bittering hops were automatically scaled up a bit after that change. i think this is totally cheating, but i'd love it if it works!

i have no experience with extract brewing, but isn't the idea similar in that you work with concentrated wort and top-up in the fermenter?

does it matter if the top-up water is boiled or not? Brewfather suggests that it be cold and actually that would help cooling of course.

also, i am not making water adjustments, but i suppose that could be affected as well.
Extract brewing is exactly where my idea of topping up came from and it does have it's advantages. You can make larger batches without a large kettle so you're really only limited by the size of the fermenter. I've thought about doing a kettle sour this summer but I have the problem that I just don't have the space to leave my kettle in the kitchen for 2-3 days after pitching the lacto before the boil and I really don't want to carry a kettle with nearly 7 gallons down to the basement and back up. So I've decided that as long as I'm brewing in the kitchen that if I do it I'm either doing an extract batch or I'm going back to doing a more concentrated BIAB batch and topping up in the fermenter.

Typically if it's safe to drink it's safe to top up with (watch the chlorine though) but boiling reduces the risk of contamination. When I topped up though that way I just used tap water run through a carbon filter.

well, 2.5 gallons for my setup is going big :)

using Brewfather, there is a setting for "top-up" and it looks like that's exactly what i need here. i changed my recipe to target 2.5g, instead of 2g, and it automatically scaled ingredients to that volume. then i adjusted "top-up" accordingly. only the bittering hops were automatically scaled up a bit after that change. i think this is totally cheating, but i'd love it if it works!

i have no experience with extract brewing, but isn't the idea similar in that you work with concentrated wort and top-up in the fermenter?

does it matter if the top-up water is boiled or not? Brewfather suggests that it be cold and actually that would help cooling of course.

also, i am not making water adjustments, but i suppose that could be affected as well.
You should boil it. That sanitizes it and drives off any clorine or clorimides in it. Boiling also somewhat deoxiginates it

You should boil it. That sanitizes it and drives off any clorine or clorimides in it. Boiling also somewhat deoxiginates it
Boiling doesn't necessarily remove all the chloramines. If you're using municipal water you need to remove the chlorine and chloramine. You can use campden tablets as suggested or a carbon filter (like a brita). Campden tablets are much easier and quicker than running several gallons through a brita pitcher

Even if boiling did remove chlorine & chloramines, it wouldn't make much, if any, difference.

upload_2021-4-12_17-49-58.png

Even if boiling did remove chlorine & chloramines, it wouldn't make much, if any, difference.

View attachment 15204
Yes if you're mashing with it the chlorine would have to be removed prior to that. They're talking though about adding this water straight to the fermenter to top up. They would only be boiling to sterilize the water

Yes if you're mashing with it the chlorine would have to be removed prior to that. They're talking though about adding this water straight to the fermenter to top up. They would only be boiling to sterilize the water

Yeah, I should have read the earlier posts. Thanks for the clarification Steve.

You can buy 4L jugs of water cheap at the grocery store for top up

Boiling does not remove chloramines.
agreed. Also I'm not convinced a brita filer would remove it either. I buy bottled water because I have very old galvanized steel pipes in my house as well. But Campden tables are really easiest option.

I toss a campden in per 10 gallons of water out of habit even though my city water doesn't really need it.

agreed. Also I'm not convinced a brita filer would remove it either. I buy bottled water because I have very old galvanized steel pipes in my house as well. But Campden tables are really easiest option.
Depends on the activation level of the charcoal in the filter. Brita does claim their filters handle chloramines as well as free chlorine. I trust the brita fine, I'm just discovering Campden tablets are easier

I hope so too i use a carbon filter on my brew water I have Camden tablets as well but sometimes I forget to add one...

I think a lot of brewers have been in your shoes when they first started. I'm a fan of the topping up method. Do a thicker mash, 1L water to 1 Lbs grain. Aim to get 4-ish gallons in the fermenter and top up to 5.

Though... I always brew for 5.5 going into the fermenter so I end up with 5 going into a keg or bottles. But I drink a lot.

Back