No Chill into a Keg?

AGbrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying to do a No Chill into a corny keg and then transfer from that to my primary when it's cooled off.

Since I would need to aerate the wort anyways, I'm thinking that it won't matter much on the sanitary side as long as I'm careful. I typically don't go over about 5 gallons into the fermenter, so the keg should be the right size. Lastly, since it is SS, should be perfect for sanitary compared to plastic.

Thoughts?

Anyone tried this before?

It might be simpler to ferment in the corny? One less vessel to worry about

It might be simpler to ferment in the corny? One less vessel to worry about

Can't. Most of the brews I do are north of 1.110 SG. 5 gallons of 1.110 SG in a corny keg that is able to hold at most 5.25 gallons is going to be a mess. Not enough head space to handle the aggressive fermentations.

Can't. Most of the brews I do are north of 1.110 SG. 5 gallons of 1.110 SG in a corny keg that is able to hold at most 5.25 gallons is going to be a mess. Not enough head space to handle the aggressive fermentations.
Ah, that makes sense. I agree that you should be fine if your sanitation is good. And as you said, you'll be able to aerate the wort well during transfer

Just manage the volume change due to temperature. From boiling to room temp could collapse a tightly sealed keg.

Good call!

I have a hole in a couple of my keg lids that allows me to place a blowoff tube or airlock, so that won't be a problem.

I just hook a tube to a gas port fitting, but if you have the drilled lids, perfect.

When I do big gravity beers in a keg, I drop the volume down to 4 gallons. I know it's not as much beer, but fermenting in a keg has some advantages, like closed transfers. Just a thought.

When I do big gravity beers in a keg, I drop the volume down to 4 gallons. I know it's not as much beer, but fermenting in a keg has some advantages, like closed transfers. Just a thought.

Well, my "Big" batches range from 1.120 - 1.138 OG for a 3.25 gallons. I've done this at least 6 times with this recipe in a 7.5 gallon fermenter and it still ends up needing a blow off tube every time. Guess that I just have extremely vigorous fermentations.

If I ever attempted it in a keg, I would probably drop the recipe to a 2.5 gallon and cross my fingers.

I just hook a tube to a gas port fitting, but if you have the drilled lids, perfect.

I may end up putting a tube on the out post, in post, and the lid port to decrease any buildups when cooling off.

Kegs are rated to 115+PSI, you're not going to collapse one. But they are designed to be pressurized so when the wort cools you could lose your seal.

I think it will be find to no chill in, but you may damage the glue holding the rubber bits on the outside.

I've kettle chilled I think you might call it 2 times now overnight and transfered wort into fermentor next morning both lagers one a helles the other Vienna Lager and I can't detect any infection.
I say skip the keg and leave it wrapped up in the kettle.
You've just boiled everything in there for an hour so it should be pretty sanitary.
Dr Hans YouTube Vloger does it routinely which is where I got the idea from.

That's probably a better idea.

Kegs are rated to 115+PSI,
That's pressure. Vacuum is a different animal. But I would be surprised if the keg would couldn't withstand an atmosphere of vacuum

Based on how my seals work I would be shocked if the lid sustained a seal long enough for the keg to have an issue. But valid point, I would still expect nothing biological is going to stress a keg wall.

I've kettle chilled I think you might call it 2 times now overnight and transfered wort into fermentor next morning both lagers one a helles the other Vienna Lager and I can't detect any infection.
I say skip the keg and leave it wrapped up in the kettle.
You've just boiled everything in there for an hour so it should be pretty sanitary.
Dr Hans YouTube Vloger does it routinely which is where I got the idea from.

Flora youtuber does this as well - she wraps a hot kettle with pastic wrap, and it pretty much seals the lid overnight. I have a mash and boil and I 100% do no chill every time. But I have a lid with a gasket and an airlock. I have never had an infection from it either.

Flora youtuber does this as well - she wraps a hot kettle with pastic wrap, and it pretty much seals the lid overnight. I have a mash and boil and I 100% do no chill every time. But I have a lid with a gasket and an airlock. I have never had an infection from it either.

I'm going to try the plastic wrap idea next time! That's a great idea.

Cool great to hear gives me more peace of mind as I think I'll do this more now I've got a child on demand for their time.
I use alfoil and lid fits on top pretty snuggly.

Back