All Grain Brewing as an entry point

Yup. BIAB isn't much more difficult or even time consuming than doing an extract that has steeping grains. I have a couple friends watch me brew who are getting more and more interested in doing it themselves. They'll start with BIAB and won't have any problems.

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
Ive found the easiest, cheapest and simplest way to brew all grain is to buy a 10 gallon turkey fryer with propane burner combo, got my set for $50 years ago and I still have it, do a brew in a bag but mash for 1.5 hours then lift up and dunk 3 or 4 times at the end, attach it to a ratchet winch or find a large stainless fryer domed screen, set the bag on it and pour water over the grain until your level is correct, I would add a pound or 2 more base grain the first time just to be safe

bags
http://www.morebeer.com/products/bag-24-mesh-grain.html

pot and burner
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-45 ... /202038907

+1 on this. Even if you end up starting with extract this is a good investment. - Check around for a "used" set even.

Read up on BIAB, watch some videos, and give it a whirl.

I brewed some great beers with extract and even used to say "I doubt I'll ever do all-grain" (too complex and takes up too much space) but inevitably it called to me and I found BIAB... Very happy... Now I just wish I had bought a bigger pot! - Enter the turkey fryer... Currently watching craigslist for a used one. :)

Some great advice in this thread. As someone into his 3rd year of brewing and likes to experiment - here is my process.

1. started with extract and recipe from homebrew store - great place to bounce ideas off someone in person
2. brew #3 - steeping specialty grains just to get some added complexity and get idea for mashing
3. brew #4 - writing my own recipes / stories and experimenting with adding fresh picked fruit to beer
4. brew #5 - started using software - BF (I started with and still use Google Dox for documenting)
5. brew #6-7 - entered in local homebrew contests - won blue ribbon at OC fair (proves you can make good beer with extract)
6. brew #9-12 - started re-brewing and refining previous recipes - experimenting more with specialty grains, hops, yeast
7. brew #10 - first brett beer and 6 month fermentation
8. brew #13 - started AG in 2015 - much easier than i thought and if you have a good beer to drink and the time (about 6-7 hours) it is definitely worth it. If time is an issue - during the mash I am usually doing things around the house and during the boil / chill read a magazine or play on phone - not just sitting around.

I agree with the others that getting your feet wet with extract is the way to go - no shame in the game and you can make good beer. I am a designer so writing stories about the beer (mostly about my KS farm roots) is a way to have a lot of fun and make it more personal - it also writes my recipe for me. If you decide you like to brew then I would start digging into it - buy some books (yeast gets me excited), interact with forums like this or homebrewtalk, enter contests for feedback, and look into a club. Brewing is a great community of making friends and being creative. Just do not take yourself too seriously, geek out, and have fun.

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
Ive found the easiest, cheapest and simplest way to brew all grain is to buy a 10 gallon turkey fryer with propane burner combo, got my set for $50 years ago and I still have it, do a brew in a bag but mash for 1.5 hours then lift up and dunk 3 or 4 times at the end, attach it to a ratchet winch or find a large stainless fryer domed screen, set the bag on it and pour water over the grain until your level is correct, I would add a pound or 2 more base grain the first time just to be safe

I second this. I started extracts but quickly noticed that the color and the taste was off for the style of beers that i was brewing, mostly due to the extract. I decided to go BIAB after a few kits and pulling a recipe off of a website. i found that all grain is cheaper and you get a better product. If you can spare the extra hour and a half, go get a 10 gallon pot and a burner or if possible, use your stove. I paid appx 80-90 bucks for a 10 gallon with steemer basket from lowes, and my sister had an extra turkey fryer. for bags,i picked up paint strainer bags from lowes as well. they were like 4 bucks for a pack of 2. they work well.

A lot also depends on your personality. I found that extract recipes can produce great beers, but you give up some control. There aren't extracts for every base malt, and sometimes learning what malts make up the syrup isn't straightforward. If this type of uncertainty bothers you, you may enjoy moving to all-grain sooner. What everyone else has said is true: learn what you're doing before making things complicated on yourself.

I moved to all-grain this year and found I just enjoy it more. I make 2.5 gallon batches which suits my available space and rate of consumption.

One thing I would disagree with by other posters is the notion that you have to do everything seventeen times until it's perfect before you change recipes. My personality wouldn't allow that. Think critically about what in a recipe may have gone well or poorly, perhaps choose a simpler recipe or one from a friend who can help you.

wolfie7873 said:
One thing I would disagree with by other posters is the notion that you have to do everything seventeen times until it's perfect before you change recipes. My personality wouldn't allow that. Think critically about what in a recipe may have gone well or poorly, perhaps choose a simpler recipe or one from a friend who can help you.

I agree.
What if you brew a recipe for the first time, and its fantastic? Does that mean you failed?
Now, if the finished beer is not what you expected, then you will need to tweak it, and re-brew, perhaps several times to get what you want, but hang on to that first recipe.

Back