Using Crystal Malts

Dirty Dingo Brewing CO.

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I usually use 350g or less if I use Crystal Malts, the guys from Genus Brewing say to go no more than 5% of the grain bill. Thoughts? I'm at an average of about 6.5%

Speaking of, I started double pitching, and get MUCH less sweetness now. Should you up the bill for crystal if you're double pitching?

Brew it how you like it. I personally believe crystal malt belongs in an ipa. To what degree is up to the brewer and their tastes imo.
I do a Bells Two Hearted clone with basically two row and crystal. The color, taste and everything is about as spot on as I've gotten. I have another clone recipe of it that has a much more complicated grain bill that one would think would give better results. Not so for me. Color and flavor are still great, but not as close clone wise.
4-8% is my typical range for crystal malts.
Guess I'm just saying, don't be scared or steered away from using crystal if you like it and the results you're getting.

Last edited:
Depends on the beer you are making, the crystal you are using, your tastes etc. I can’t see any hard and fast rule applying equally across the board. That’s what makes this hobby so much fun. You get to brew hundreds of beers to find out what it is you prefer. Then you can make your own rules! :p

So I usually use 350g or less if I use Crystal Malts, the guys from Genus Brewing say to go no more than 5% of the grain bill. Thoughts? I'm at an average of about 6.5%

Speaking of, I started double pitching, and get MUCH less sweetness now. Should you up the bill for crystal if you're double pitching?
I've relegated crystal malts to a few special purposes, pale ales, British beers and really strong dark beer. Everywhere else I use Munich, Victory or some variant. I'd agree on the 5%, seems to work well, although like all rules of thumb, there are different sized thumbs. The pitch size won't change things: Crystal malts leave a lot of dextrines behind and those dextrines, unfermentable, are what gives beer made with crystal malts their sweetness and body.

Early on before joining BF I put 1kg of C60 in a beer. Came out with a nice ruby red highlight is what I remember. It all got drunk though:).

Yeah, I have an IPA that I actually have published at the homebrew shop I work at. It is basically 2-row and Dark Crystal. 5.2kg 2-row, 350g Dark Crystal. I don't think the beer is sweet at all. All Mosaic hop schedule and Mosaic 100g Ella 20g dry hop day 3. Everyone enjoys it, I think now that I'm double pitching, it is even less sweet? Maybe it's all in my head?

Everyone enjoys it, I think now that I'm double pitching, it is even less sweet? Maybe it's all in my head?
Speaking of, I started double pitching, and get MUCH less sweetness now.
By double pitching, I assume you are using more yeast. Often under pitched beer and under aerated beer will finish with a sweetness to it. The yeast is struggling with the fermentation, it under-attenuates and it often has a "not so pleasant" sweetness to it. The beer isn't as easy drinking as it should be. I don't think your using too much crystal, you can cut back on crystal malt and add 10% Munich for a little more color and maltineses. Or leave the crystal as is and add Munich malt to bring up the malt without making it sweet. Or just leave as it is. It's your beer, make it like you want it.

when pitching yeast, think of it as 20 people in a room but you only have enough oxygen for 10, guess what happens, people start dying, same for yeast, it a waste to pitch more yeast without enough oxygen

when pitching yeast, think of it as 20 people in a room but you only have enough oxygen for 10, guess what happens, people start dying, same for yeast, it a waste to pitch more yeast without enough oxygen

Good point, maybe I'll start using nutrient or something. I've enjoyed the taste of double pitching over a single, I'll keep playing around with it.

By double pitching, I assume you are using more yeast. Often under pitched beer and under aerated beer will finish with a sweetness to it. The yeast is struggling with the fermentation, it under-attenuates and it often has a "not so pleasant" sweetness to it. The beer isn't as easy drinking as it should be. I don't think your using too much crystal, you can cut back on crystal malt and add 10% Munich for a little more color and maltineses. Or leave the crystal as is and add Munich malt to bring up the malt without making it sweet. Or just leave as it is. It's your beer, make it like you want it.

Yeah, I'll use Munich, I like the extra body in a beer

Back