Expected Pre-Boil and Post-Boil Volume Calculation Temps.?

Brewer #295966

Trial Member
Reaction score
What temperature are the expected Pre and Post boil calculations calculated at? I notice in Brewfather's equipment profile (Brewzilla 35l) these are given as "hot" and include 4% expansion. Is it the same with Brewersfriend?

All volumes are at room/reference temperature, unless noted otherwise.

For example in the brewsessions brew log entries, you can specify the temperature and it will calculate the volume that it should be at 68F. The equation used is linear, and assumes a 4% volumetric expansion at boil.

Thank you for the reply that's helpful. So, if in the "Boil" section of brew steps it is saying "expected pre-boil volume of 29L needed to hit batch target size" this would be at 68F? On the Brewzilla usually when I start sparging to reach pre-boil volume my wort is somewhere between 152F and 169Fs is there a calculator/way of calculating required pre-boil volume at those temps?

Thank you for the reply that's helpful. So, if in the "Boil" section of brew steps it is saying "expected pre-boil volume of 29L needed to hit batch target size" this would be at 68F? On the Brewzilla usually when I start sparging to reach pre-boil volume my wort is somewhere between 152F and 169Fs is there a calculator/way of calculating required pre-boil volume at those temps?
Nothing that I'm aware of on BF comes to mind that does the calculation in that direction, unless I'm missing something @Yooper?

For 152 F, I would expect a percent difference of 1.85%, and 2.40% at 169F.

So 10 gallons at room temp would be approximately 10.185 gallons at 152, and 10.24 gallons at 169F.

Thermal expansion coefficients taken from a regression I did a long long time ago from data on engineers toolbox and a couple physics books I had from college.

Back