Colder Fermenting Temperature

nflamedrash

Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a brew day this past Sunday and brewed 'The Inn Keeper' using WPL005 British Yeast. The recommended fermentation temperature is 64 to 70n degrees. I pitched the yeast at 65 degrees and promptly placed the fermenter into a 59 degree fermenting Freezer. I have never had the problem of being too cold so I never installed something to warm the refrigerator.

Fermentation started within 24 hours and continues today, solid krausen but not a vigorous fermentation. I feel everything should be OK, maybe the fermentation will take a little longer? I will use the FG reading to make sure fermentation is complete.

My questions is this: What are the possible side effects of fermenting 5 degrees too low? Off flavors?

Low esters and underattenuation. Your beer will be sweet and have less flavor than it would have had at higher temperatures. The good news is the yeast may have created enough of its own heat to bring the temperature back up to what it should have been. RDWHAHB - your beer will come out all right.

I brew most all my beers at 60 air temperature just because the wart goes up to as much as 67 when fermenting

I try to stay in the yeast manufacturer's temp range.

If you are fermenting cool with an English yeast, you will loose the character that English yeast brings to the ferment. If you want a clean ferment without English yeast esters, why not use a clean fermenting yeast like 001 Cal ale?

longer fermentation and a cleaner taste like mentioned above, the good thing about most English yeast is flocculation is high and that is what I like, I like tasting beer not yeast lol

Back