Brew in a Bag

brucerx

Trial Member
Reaction score
After many years of extract brewing thought I'd explore all grain. Bought an Anvil Foundry system and tried it today for first all grain. Bought a kit for Morebeer so would assume fermentables were correctly calculated. Started with 6 gal of water for mash. When mash and sparge complete, brought it up to boil where I had a creamy head with gray strips thoughout the head. SG quite low. I know I used way too much water, but what was this

Most likely it was just "hot break", which are mostly proteins that are extracted during the mash and coagulate at the beginning of the boil. Give it a stir and it will all go back into solution. It will not affect the beer in the end.

Just before the boil, the hot break produces a lot of foam. Blow on it, stir it, or spritz water on it. It stops in a few minutes, and the boil starts.

These are proteins that need to come out of solution. This is normal.

BIAB is a great method for small scale brewers. A couple of things to help increase OG:

1. Use a fine grind. Since you're not worried about a stuck sparge, you can grind smaller and provide more surface area for the enzymes to work during the mash.

2. Try a bit thicker mash and use a modified batch sparge. For 2.5 gallon batches, I use about 2 -2.5 gallons in the mash. After mashing, I remove the bag and put in in another bucket. I "batch sparge" with 160 degree water. I use enough to get 3.25 gallons in the kettle. At the end of the boil I have 3 gallons going into the fermenter with a 75-80% efficiency.

3. Don't get too hung up on efficiency if the beer tastes good. I've sampled beer from a couple of brewers who boasted a 85-90% efficiency and their beer tasted like scrap.

With a new system, it will take you a few batches to get everything dialed in.

BIAB is a great method for small scale brewers. A couple of things to help increase OG:

1. Use a fine grind. Since you're not worried about a stuck sparge, you can grind smaller and provide more surface area for the enzymes to work during the mash.

2. Try a bit thicker mash and use a modified batch sparge. For 2.5 gallon batches, I use about 2 -2.5 gallons in the mash. After mashing, I remove the bag and put in in another bucket. I "batch sparge" with 160 degree water. I use enough to get 3.25 gallons in the kettle. At the end of the boil I have 3 gallons going into the fermenter with a 75-80% efficiency.

3. Don't get too hung up on efficiency if the beer tastes good. I've sampled beer from a couple of brewers who boasted a 85-90% efficiency and their beer tasted like scrap.

With a new system, it will take you a few batches to get everything dialed in.
Definitely use a fine grind. I went from 59% brewhouse efficiency on my first BIAB to 68% on my 2nd (same recipe). The only thing I did differently was to double mill my grain the 2nd time. If you don't have your own mill (which I recommend the investment) ask your LHBS to double mill it or tell them it's for BIAB.

I don't sparge currently but after draining and squeezing the grain bag I put it in a collander in a smaller kettle and let it continue to drain. I might give it another squeeze or two. Then I pour the drippings back into the brew kettle right up until the boil starts. I use an old school electric stove top (think coiled heating element not induction) so it actually gives me plenty of time while it comes up to temp. Now I'm far from an expert, still perfecting my own method so take my advice with a grain of salt but just sharing my observations

I squeeze only until I hit my pre-boil volume. I always thought any more than that was just pride. :)

I have read both squeeze don't squeeze...Before I bought the brewzilla, I did biab and I squeezed the bag. I experienced no ill effects.

I squeeze only until I hit my pre-boil volume. I always thought any more than that was just pride. :)

I have a lot of pride. :p

What the others have said is spot on for my experience:
1. Crush fine or have LHBS double crush for you.
2. When you pull the bag collect the drippings and squeeze the bag until you are satisfied you will not get more or you have your pre-boil volume.
3. I generally don't fine with anything, so I use a carboy for secondary as well as cold crash the lighter colored brews.

I don't stress to much about efficiency. I plan my recipes around a 70-72% efficiency. If I hit above that then cool. I achieved 80% once and I think that had more to do with me inputting a higher final volume than it actually was. Except for the last batch I have been consistently hitting 72-75%. Worst case scenario if you hit a little low, plan for that the next brew and spend a couple dollars on extra grain or DME.

Back