Deadly brew?

the article said samples of the beer and unusual objects found in the drum were sent for testing. I'm betting it's the unusual objects, not the beer. Of course, if they didn't boil the wort, something in the water could have made them sick.

Journalist: A person who writes with great authority on subjects they know absolutely nothing about. The beer was poisoned - this kind of effect doesn't happen in homebrewing and if it did, you'd be unable to drink it. Crocodile bile sounds like a crock to me, likely some attempt to "punch up" the beer with some kind of hallucinogenic or other spice.

Nosybear said:
Journalist: A person who writes with great authority on subjects they know absolutely nothing about.
+1
Being a climber, this is something that I realize every time a semi-maybe-climbing-related accident gets reported too. :roll:

The only thing I could think of that could grow in beer and be deadly is botulism. From a few quick searches this is possible, but so is winning the lottery 2 or 3 times in a row with the same numbers. Beer was originally brewed for a healthier drink than the contaminated water available for drinking. I believe even before they knew boiling water purified it. I think I will continue to purify my water through brewing properly, then consuming it. :D CHEERS!!

I thought about botulism as well but in context of canned starter wort. The spores will survive boiling but the bacteria themselves do not like a high-acid environment such as, you guessed it, beer. I'm still sticking with the idea that the brewer put something in there he or she shouldn't have, either accidentally or on purpose.

well first of all lets look at the country, lots of killings, poisonings and poor sanitation from many parts of that country, we cant predict anything since we don't know how it was made and with what, but with so many deaths an autopsy should have been done to find out what it was so in my opinion just bad press put on home brewing was a terrible thing to do without first getting more information

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
well first of all lets look at the country, lots of killings, poisonings and poor sanitation from many parts of that country, we cant predict anything since we don't know how it was made and with what, but with so many deaths an autopsy should have been done to find out what it was so in my opinion just bad press put on home brewing was a terrible thing to do without first getting more information

Agreed, particularly on the journalism side. I have to say I've never known a news story I've had any additional knowledge of to be factually correct.

Back