Testing for ABV

Aa_Aa_Ron

Trial Member
Reaction score
Are there alternative ways to test the ABV of your finished beer without having your O.G. reading and without expensive equipment? My hydrometer broke just before I took my O.G. reading, ugh. I'm entering this brew into my first home brew competition and I am required to put the ABV on my entry form.

you can guess off the recipe but the hydrometer is the cheapest way, a home brew shop might help with a Refractometer for the finishing or even a hydrometer and go off the recipe for the starting gravity but no other way I know of

That's what I was thinking, take it up to my home brew store for some help. If not I'll just use the recipe ABV. Thanks!

Was it extract or grain? If it was an extract; and you followed the instructions then the recipe OG will be fine.

If it was grain then your efficiency will throw a huge unknown into the equation.

Do you have the recipe and the FG? That would help.
Brian

A refractometer can't be used to measure final gravity. Once alcohol is introduced, only a hydrometer can be used. Use a refractometer from pre-boil and OG gravity measurements.

RockHammer said:
A refractometer can't be used to measure final gravity. Once alcohol is introduced, only a hydrometer can be used. Use a refractometer from pre-boil and OG gravity measurements.
there are spreadsheets and things to correct the final gravity reading done with a refractometer, but it isn't always accurate. and different people have come up with different formulas for figuring the correction, so who knows which one is right. so you can use a refractometer for fg, but it isn't the best way.

If you ever break a hydrometer on a brew day you can always take a sample out and measure it the next day, or bring it into your LHBS. It happened to me before.

skeevystoner said:
If you ever break a hydrometer on a brew day you can always take a sample out and measure it the next day, or bring it into your LHBS. It happened to me before.
After breaking my 2nd hydrometer (only one was on brew day) I ordered 2, so I always have a spare. :p

I have learned my lesson. Always have 2 hydrometers and thermometers, they are cheap and if one breaks I always have one.

Back