Heres a first for this guy

I too have done that just the 1 time, trying to hone in on my equipment setup, so built enough to pitch and enough to start another starter. This way I had same strain, same recipe, same everything and only difference is equipment changes I made, and process.

I would like to do this as well, but it seems I am not usually planned ahead enough to accomplish this without under-pitching. Going forward I think I am going to try this at least on my liquid yeast purchases!
Its all habitual my friend. I think im btewing next week ill make a starter in advance. I like Mark's method of storing in grolsch bottles.

Its better to store under beer than boiled water beer is lower ph than water this creates a bad medium for bad yeast to grow;).

Oh heres my bunyip beer capping off a smooth after work brew day. Brewvarnah

Attachments

• 20170719_174830.jpg
    20170719_174830.jpg
    759.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Lower pH - fantastic reason! I have similar to grolsch bottles that will be dedicated to the cause!

Well there ya go snook now you just gotta plan in advance youll be glad you did and your yeast will thank you:).

Don't you mean my beer?
Ha ha yeah long way to grab it from lol:p.

Heres me marzan brew colour not as much gravity as i was after but happy with colour.

Attachments

• 20170719_183004.jpg
    20170719_183004.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 162
Looks like a good color indeed! Brew day go good?

Looks like a good color indeed! Brew day go good?
Yep without a hitch 3 points shy of my preferred Starting gravity will pitch the yeast thismorning I'm sure it will be rocking in 12.

Well done, I am eagerly awaiting my next brew day, near 2 weeks out

Thinking its time for another 60+ brew...

@Mark D Pirate , Your correct sir, IBU's it is!
Though my brew schedule changed, I got a friend with gallons of hops growing that I can have, so I put the 60+ on hold to use fresh hops!
Instead i brewed 3 batches, blonde ale, cream ale and a hard lemonade.

Still tastes young, but couldn't resist a taste of the alien. Definitely a little sweeter than I hoped for but overall I think will be a clean drink for volume type of beer. Clarity isn't perfect yet, though I haven't done any fining besides whirlfloc. Will wait another week / pint to see if it's still settling before I add gelatin

@Trialben

Attachments

• 2017-08-06 16.12.31.jpg
    2017-08-06 16.12.31.jpg
    860.2 KB · Views: 147
Heck yeah Sn00k that's an appetising looking beer nice tiny bubbles in there. Better Attenuation should fix that sweetness and lower ferment temp should help with crispness:rolleyes:. Give her another week or two and it will be tasting great I'm sure!

You think perhaps a different yeast strain to get better attenuation or different process ? It's funny you mention that because I was wondering if it had finished drier how it would crisp it up....

You think perhaps a different yeast strain to get better attenuation or different process ? It's funny you mention that because I was wondering if it had finished drier how it would crisp it up....
I remember you said around 72% attenuation I'm aiming around 80 for this pils. No I would brew her again sometime try a good attenuating lager yeast wlp082O that Ceck lager yeast hits around 80 and finishes dry and crisp can't wait to try this one. I ramp my fermentations toward Finnish to encourage them to keep chewing all the sugar and not get lazy on me even swirling fermentor.

Mashing long and low could help too:rolleyes:.
Definitely no caramel malts because they will give sweetness.

I recon she looks good though Sn00k.​

Thanks for the tips! Certainly eager to try a higher attenuating yeast on the next lager....

Alien clearing up real nice, perhaps next pint will be for the picture

@sn00ky here ya go snook brewing my gladfield larger drinkin my marzen brew crarity is exceptional falvours good too some tweeking yet to be done deffinetly tasting those spicey notes from them tettnang hops likin it

Attachments

• 20170818_155632.jpg
    20170818_155632.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 155
Well, she's sat long enough, here's the final product of the alien mystery. Clarity come along ok, but not the best which is kind of surprising. This is the first pint in a week or more, perhaps next will be a little clearer. The extra couple weeks sure did help, but I think the lower mash temp will benefit this combination of pale 2 row and saaz. That said, got my doubts anyone is gunna complain, seems even a bud drinker has taken a shine to it, works for me!

20170831_150237.jpg

Back