What are you doing with homebrew today?

I didn't squeak in that last brew of '22 like I thought, but brewed it today. Brewed indoors, BIAB on stovetop in my 8 gal Megapot. Did a variation of Yooper's Oatmeal Stout that I've brewed 6 or 7 times before. It's my wife's favorite and she's not that much of a beer person.

Maris Otter, some leftover 6-row I had, flaked oats, flaked barley, a bit of crystal 77L, chocolate malt, black barley. With this one I added 12oz. of jaggery late in the boil (because I had it leftover, so why not?). In anticipation of that possibly drying out the beer a bit, I mashed at 156F. Hit my volume and 1 point above target OG, so happy. I bittered with East Kent Goldings and pitched S-04. It's in the ferm chamber, set at 63F.

One observation: this time I bought Warminster "floor malted" Maris Otter, from Midwest. I used some of it in today's brew. First time I've bought MO from that maltster. Out of the 20 lbs. I bought I had to pick out almost a fistful of bits of stems and twigs. Other than that I'm sure it's fine, just a little annoying. It is an agricultural product after all, but jeez, that's a lot of debris. Next buy I'll look for Fawcett/Crisp/Simpsons, etc.
I've bought Baird's marris Otter before and it was full of twigs and stems. I've never bought it again. Crisp has treated me well since

I've used Baird's MO, never had the twiggy problem, but it's been a while and maybe their QC isn't so hot anymore. MW also sells Munton's MO, but a bit higher, $2.49 vs. $2.19 for the Warminster. Haven't tried Munton's.

I'm putting together an order from Ritebrew soon (never ordered from them before, prices seem good). They have Baird's MO, but also Fawcett Golden Promise, which I like as a sub for MO. Close enough for me, anyway. Might have to add 10 lbs. of the GP to the order.

Check out a bucket blaster.
Been using one for a year or two now it's one of them I should a got one of these sooner brewing tools.

You can adapt it for cleaning beer lines transfer hoses ect in the brew house a small scale of that the big boys do CIP ING their tanks ect.
The problem for me is getting the thing apart. Love my bucket blaster or whatever mine is called.

The problem for me is getting the thing apart. Love my bucket blaster or whatever mine is called.
Amen and this here is why I've avoided the yeast collection versions of these bubble fermenters.

I remember when they first come out people were having trouble with their seals even the lid seals and I thought I'll be one of the ones who can never get that thing sealed.

Anyhow you'll learn a trick to it I'm sure Josh:)

Amen and this here is why I've avoided the yeast collection versions of these bubble fermenters.

I remember when they first come out people were having trouble with their seals even the lid seals and I thought I'll be one of the ones who can never get that thing sealed.

Anyhow you'll learn a trick to it I'm sure Josh:)
The tool they sent with it does well BUT I usually have to have Kim hold the fermenter while I try to get leverage. I always wanted the All rounder but when this one went on sale for the same price I bit haha. I do harvest yeast so I wanted that part to be easier, I find it isn’t using my keg. In winter I simply dump on top and brew while the slurry is fresh.

I'm on the hunt for a 1 gallon, food grade plastic, high temp resistant pitcher with a handle and a spout. Anyone have any recommendations? Google and Amazon are not being helpful

I have that Rubbermaid 1 gallon pitcher. I use it a lot. I used it the other day to draw off a couple quarts of wort from the boil to dissolve some jaggery and dump back in. The hot wort didn't seem to affect it.

I have that Rubbermaid 1 gallon pitcher. I use it a lot. I used it the other day to draw off a couple quarts of wort from the boil to dissolve some jaggery and dump back in. The hot wort didn't seem to affect it.
Had to google Jaggery never herd of it.

Unrefined non centrifuge sugar contains 60ish percent sucrose when compared to white refined sugar 95ish percent.

So therefore shouldn't all ferment out?

Had to google Jaggery never herd of it.

Unrefined non centrifuge sugar contains 60ish percent sucrose when compared to white refined sugar 95ish percent.

So therefore shouldn't all ferment out?

True. Being unrefined, it should leave behind some flavor elements. I've never brewed with jaggery before, so don't know exactly what to expect flavor-wise, aside from descriptions I have read. Wanted to give it a try. I've brewed with a few other unrefined sugars--muscovado and turbinado--with good results.

True. Being unrefined, it should leave behind some flavor elements. I've never brewed with jaggery before, so don't know exactly what to expect flavor-wise, aside from descriptions I have read. Wanted to give it a try. I've brewed with a few other unrefined sugars--muscovado and turbinado--with good results.
Well I'm all ears on hearing what you think it brings to this one there Max.

Might be something I could use in my GF beers thinking on doing a ginger beer soon with all sugar and maybe some maltodextrin for body and head maybe this jaggery might fit the bill better...

I didn't squeak in that last brew of '22 like I thought, but brewed it today. Brewed indoors, BIAB on stovetop in my 8 gal Megapot. Did a variation of Yooper's Oatmeal Stout that I've brewed 6 or 7 times before. It's my wife's favorite and she's not that much of a beer person.

Maris Otter, some leftover 6-row I had, flaked oats, flaked barley, a bit of crystal 77L, chocolate malt, black barley. With this one I added 12oz. of jaggery late in the boil (because I had it leftover, so why not?). In anticipation of that possibly drying out the beer a bit, I mashed at 156F. Hit my volume and 1 point above target OG, so happy. I bittered with East Kent Goldings and pitched S-04. It's in the ferm chamber, set at 63F.

One observation: this time I bought Warminster "floor malted" Maris Otter, from Midwest. I used some of it in today's brew. First time I've bought MO from that maltster. Out of the 20 lbs. I bought I had to pick out almost a fistful of bits of stems and twigs. Other than that I'm sure it's fine, just a little annoying. It is an agricultural product after all, but jeez, that's a lot of debris. Next buy I'll look for Fawcett/Crisp/Simpsons, etc.
Crisp is available at the homebrew store here. I have liked how the beer came out with it.
I kind of cheated with my Oatmeal Porter. I used Crystal 120 instead of 77, Munich, and no Black Barley, but my Chocolate 350 was about 7.7%. It was plenty dark. Those are yummy beers.

Last edited:
Love Crisp malts but I actually got Warminster for the first time yesterday. I think they were the maltsters that started maris otter to be what we use in the 50’s or 60’s. Hopefully it turns out well for you and me :)

Well I'm all ears on hearing what you think it brings to this one there Max.

Might be something I could use in my GF beers thinking on doing a ginger beer soon with all sugar and maybe some maltodextrin for body and head maybe this jaggery might fit the bill better...

I'll be very curious to hear how your ginger beer turns out. I'm a big fan of Bundaberg, and wouldn't mind trying to clone that some time.

Lots of interesting sugars to play around with. I added a pound of muscovado late boil to a Dubbel I recently brewed, waiting for that to bottle-condition. Never brewed with brown sugar, but used it for bottle-carbing once. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference, so I went back to corn sugar for that. Brown sugar is just refined white sugar with some molasses added back, after all.

I ordered my jaggery from Amazon, but if you have an Indian grocery, they often stock it.

Have you tried making invert sugar? It's easy and you can control how light or dark you want it. I've made a few inverts (one amber, the other a deep ruby color) that I added to brews. It adds a little dimension.

If you have Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing, he covers the various sugars fairly well.

Back