What are you doing with homebrew today?

I’m spinning up a starter, using the last of the slurry from an overbuilt starter that was used on Janet’s Brown Ale. That slurry originated from my amber ale, a that brew used a fresh packet of US-05. I intend to use this starter to brew my PNW IPA, which will be brewed soon.
I have a loaf of banana nut bread in the oven, using a quarter of the required flour from sbg (spent beer grain).
I’m adjusting to a new schedule since my wife just started a new, full time job this week. Currently, I am acting as a full time house husband, as well as being her driver. Parking downtown is pricey, so I make the 5 mile round trip twice daily.

I’m spinning up a starter, using the last of the slurry from an overbuilt starter that was used on Janet’s Brown Ale. That slurry originated from my amber ale, a that brew used a fresh packet of US-05. I intend to use this starter to brew my PNW IPA, which will be brewed soon.
I have a loaf of banana nut bread in the oven, using a quarter of the required flour from sbg (spent beer grain).
I’m adjusting to a new schedule since my wife just started a new, full time job this week. Currently, I am acting as a full time house husband, as well as being her driver. Parking downtown is pricey, so I make the 5 mile round trip twice daily.
I need to look up how to use the spent grain in bread. The wife might like that.

Labelled the Ruby Ale which has virtually cleared in 24 hours. Not bad for a 10 day primary fermentation. Loving these guys at Woodforde's. Actually it is a lady whom I have dealt with so far, very friendly too.

Too late to start the next brew yesterday so I waited until today. Officially start of my dark beers season - requires a bit of limbering up;)

My final Woodforde's kit until next summer and I am now convinced that the two tins included are different and not intended to be split into separate brews. This one is called 'Norfolk Nog' and is supposed to be a deeper red colour than the above Ruby Ale (Tinsel Toes) which does look a little darker in the bottle although still not quite ruby coloured. Well Nog is deeper alright LOL - the body is more like a Porter in colour although I associate Porter with London. The foam reminds me of the old Edme Irish Stout kit, a wonderful rusty colour. If I am correct (gonna have to wait) then that other tin is going to be an interesting colour to make it deep red over all. Thing is the kits are working perfectly (so far). Also this was just about my best mixing experience to date.

Opening the one tin it smells amazing like treacle/bonfire toffee which I know well and made about a pound of on bonfire night and still have some left. The chocolate/liquorice elements in the description are either masked or in the other tin. I accidently split one of my packs of medium spraymalt with the corner of a new diary during christmas shopping:oops: That was going to be for my bitters next year. IME it only keeps three to four months tops in dark brown jars so that went in the mix even though sugar isn't needed with these 'all malt' kits. I thought what the heck, I aren't risking having to throw anything away and as it is malt rather than dextrose or ordinary household sugar, it shouldn't be majorly off course. Can't have affected the colour that much either but a nice round OG of 1.050.

I need to look up how to use the spent grain in bread. The wife might like that.
It’s really pretty easy. On brew day, I scavenge enough spent grain (before composting the rest) to fill a couple baking pans about a quarter inch deep. The baking pans go in the oven at ~175F while I boil wort. I check on the grains, stirring and breaking clumps as needed until the grains are dry. It usually takes several hours. When the grains are dry, I bag them in a ziplock, then use as needed. To grind them into flour, I use an old Bosch 2-blade coffee grinder, which also get used for grinding spices. I just sub a small portion of sbg flour for some of what the recipe calls for. Over time, I have increased the portion of sbg flour.
Sometimes, I bag the wet grains and freeze them. When I need some sbg, I thaw, then dry as above. I love what the sbg flour adds to my baked goods. They make a good addition (in small quantity) to pancakes. I want to try some in pizza dough, too.

Sounds great Herm. I seriously love that kind of resourcefulness - bravo! I am into baking so might get there myself one day.

See my reply to @MaxStout - yeah, I just need to accept some condensation in the vent hood, and the noise that hood generates. My stove can easily boil wort, so there isn’t a need for extra equipment.

I should RDWHAHB!
Try boiling a gallon of water for 5-10 minutes to see how well it vents.

Or get warm clothing...:rolleyes:

My hefenwezen wheat beer still smells a bit like Rhino farts when I open the fridge. But it appears to be done, Tilt says the numbers are close and steady now. I usually keg at this point, about 7 days. This time I think I will wait a few more days. Really dont want beer that tastes like Rhino stuff.

Try boiling a gallon of water for 5-10 minutes to see how well it vents.

Or get warm clothing...:rolleyes:
I boiled wort for a starter today, and the vent works. It’s just so noisy, such that it interferes with my enjoyment of music. I have warm clothing, but letting 35F air into the house is a non-starter.

My hefenwezen wheat beer still smells a bit like Rhino farts when I open the fridge. But it appears to be done, Tilt says the numbers are close and steady now. I usually keg at this point, about 7 days. This time I think I will wait a few more days. Really dont want beer that tastes like Rhino stuff.
Patience should reward you. Give it least another week, or longer if necessary to chase away the rhino.

I boiled wort for a starter today, and the vent works. It’s just so noisy, such that it interferes with my enjoyment of music. I have warm clothing, but letting 35F air into the house is a non-starter.

Noise canceling ear buds?

If the fan is accessible, what about replacing it?

If the fan is accessible, what about replacing it?
I was also thinking a new fan - a direct replacement, not a new range hood - might do the trick.

As for warm clothes, I was thinking of 35F air on the back porch...:eek:

I was also thinking a new fan - a direct replacement, not a new range hood - might do the trick.

As for warm clothes, I was thinking of 35F air on the back porch...:eek:
Yeah, fan replacement seems reasonable. I did that in the bathrooms of our old home, reducing the noise considerably.
As for brewing on the back deck, or in the garage at this time of year, I think I’d rather go skiing. But maybe it just takes more time to adjust to winter temps much colder than Southern California.

Yeah, fan replacement seems reasonable. I did that in the bathrooms of our old home, reducing the noise considerably.
As for brewing on the back deck, or in the garage at this time of year, I think I’d rather go skiing. But maybe it just takes more time to adjust to winter temps much colder than Southern California.
Oooh! Mashing and boiling whilst skiing! Might spill a bit, so maybe not. :eek:

Yes, you will acclimate but it takes two seasons. There are joys in cold weather too, like the absolute silence of a calm snowfall.

It's pretty simple Sandy...you can dry the mash in the oven then used it while or grind it down in the blender. While is pretty gritty and may not be everyone's cup of tea...you can also just use it wet. Herm's ratio is a good place to start. More than a 1/3rd and you can start getting too dence a loaf. I

There are plenty of posts on this board about using ANY and out on the web. SBG....it's not just for animal feed anymore!

Oooh! Mashing and boiling whilst skiing! Might spill a bit, so maybe not. :eek:

Yes, you will acclimate but it takes two seasons. There are joys in cold weather too, like the absolute silence of a calm snowfall.
I actually like cold, otherwise I would never have been a skier. Nor would I have moved to PNW. Glad to have good cold weather gear. Loved our 2 snow events so far, and official Winter by the calendar is not yet here.

I actually like cold, otherwise I would never have been a skier. Nor would I have moved to PNW. Glad to have good cold weather gear. Loved our 2 snow events so far, and official Winter by the calendar is not yet here.
"Cold" to me means that you have to wear things called "shoes" that are not branded as Reef Flip Flops and things called "underwear" LOL. Denim jackets are ok for a couple of days to make you appreciate things, but it is time to cuss after those couple of days. Next week there may be some serious cussing. I am so used to the humidity that I absolutely hate having to run the heat.

It's pretty simple Sandy...you can dry the mash in the oven then used it while or grind it down in the blender. While is pretty gritty and may not be everyone's cup of tea...you can also just use it wet. Herm's ratio is a good place to start. More than a 1/3rd and you can start getting too dence a loaf. I

There are plenty of posts on this board about using ANY and out on the web. SBG....it's not just for animal feed anymore!
I like to add a scoop to oatmeal. 25% spent grain and rest oats. Right out of the brew bag.

Prepping some Windsor ale yeast in Apple juice starter
20221217_133618.jpg

Brewing what I call Aldi Cider I'm hoping the Windsor attenuates low and leaves some sweetness. @Josh Hughes you said in your Cider you tried some in it and it didn't finish so low ?
20221217_133402.jpg
12lt batch including the 2lt starter I'm just boiling the nutrient and some Calcium Sulphate In there for the yeast.

Back