CO2 Shortage!!!

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute..what are these brewers doing with the CO2 that their beer makes?
Another good one from today 's news feed...

https://news.google.com/stories/CAA...BTlVDeHF0Y2p5Z0FQAQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

Ah it's moments like this I'm glad I bottled condition! And while we on it...is anyone else noting supply chain issues and or rising prices for your grain and supplies...just curious as to what your part of the world is experiencing.

I have to order online. Prices up for everything I buy brewing related.

Even at my LHBS grain prices are way up. I'm sure due to covid, high gas prices and a poor barley harvest last year due to extreme heat.

Yup same here in Aus actually beer prices are going up as well I herd other night on news a pub charging $15 / Schooner now that's exy where ever your drinking in the world!

Sometimes I think covid is the scapegoat for the high prices and then others it is the reason....

A weird shortage we have in Aus is pool salt

Our prices have been rising for everything.
Due to covid, high exchange rate to the U$, low exchange rate to the U$, not enough tourist, too many tourist :rolleyes:
Although the price of fuel came down a little, 2 days ago

Grain prices are definitely up. I also noticed an increase in the liquid yeast prices. CO2? First I ever heard of this, and I BS with a couple of the brewers when we go out here. They also mention a 2 1/2-year shutdown? Nothing taken lightly, but we were only shut down for a few months. When we were, I was taking my growler up to the local brewery, paying the big bucks to have it filled, and begging that they don't shut down.
I looked at ordering online like Josh, but that was stupid expensive. It is much cheaper to go up the road to the homebrew shop. Unfortunately, we did lose one of them, but we have two left.

Grain is up 30-40%. I just paid $85 US for a bag of Maris Otter in store at Midwest. Typically the in store price is much lower than online price. Yikes! I used to pay $55 for it 18 months ago.

The grain harvest in North America was very low last year due to wide spread drought. The barley that did make it to the malting house was higher in protein and a little lower in brewhouse extraction, double whammy. Malt in a global commodity, so when North America is short on grain, the prices go up worldwide. It's a little better this year, but certainly not back to normal.

Now co2? That sucks.

here is STL is up a bit too. 5lb bags of grain used to be $7 and now are $9.

I guess I look at it this way. if I wanted cheap beer, I wouldnt be making it myself, lol.

Today's trip bore out the following increases since May 5th

Maris Otter 2.15 # no change
Carafa2. 2.75# up 50 cents #
Crystal 120 2.42# up 21 cents#
Roast Barley 2.45# up 9 cents
Fuggles 4.76 oz up $2.37 !

Talking to the help they said getting hold of some grains has been tough and they're getting stuff from other suppliers because the normal suppliers can't always get stuff!

I guess I better thank my lucky stars. I just looked up all that stuff online, and I can get each of those items for at least $0.50 cheaper. Holy crap!

Whoa..thanks for weighing in Bfriends...things like this are hard to "like" but you know what I mean!

I'll have to drop by one of the local Breweries and see what they are charging for a pint....I hope I can afford it....maybe I'll feel better after confirming that I can still brew 2 cases (24 12oz bottles) at home for the price of 1 case of a cheap craft!

Hell, i just paid my septic guy for my 3 year annual pump out and he hit me up for a additional 30$ for his gas costs. They're getting us coming and going!

I went to a store last week. One of the places I can actually find imports that I want. The German and English stuff was $14-16 for a 6 pack. Used to be $10-12. Today my half of the 5 gallon batch will cost me $17 after updating my inventory prices. So it’s a win for me still.

That sack of craft malt I got from voyager was $60
What that make it $2.4/kg man I'm happy with that.

For what it costs me for a Schooner down the pub around $8 I've got most beer grists covered throw in another schooner or two depending on style there's ya hops.

I think we pay more for hops in Aus usually on HB scale around $10/ 100g

That sack of craft malt I got from voyager was $60
What that make it $2.4/kg man I'm happy with that.

For what it costs me for a Schooner down the pub around $8 I've got most beer grists covered throw in another schooner or two depending on style there's ya hops.

I think we pay more for hops in Aus usually on HB scale around $10/ 100g

thats not bad. its about $2.50-$3 per oz here (1oz is about 28g)

thats not bad. its about $2.50-$3 per oz here (1oz is about 28g)
So on par you payless ordering more one place hoppy days does 500g buys for cheaper but you really gotta commit to that hop which isn't hard if it's mosaic or simcoe ect.

Bloody great HBS they are!
That's where I go that malt from
They are right behind HB ING usually do a few comps too

Whoa..thanks for weighing in Bfriends...things like this are hard to "like" but you know what I mean!

I'll have to drop by one of the local Breweries and see what they are charging for a pint....I hope I can afford it....maybe I'll feel better after confirming that I can still brew 2 cases (24 12oz bottles) at home for the price of 1 case of a cheap craft!

Hell, i just paid my septic guy for my 3 year annual pump out and he hit me up for a additional 30$ for his gas costs. They're getting us coming and going!
I'm finding a pint is running about $7 at the breweries around town. I did find one place over the weekend that was only charging $6, and their beer was outstanding. The only problem with the place is the hour drive:(

You may have to stick around a while and drink a half dozen pints or so to break even.

I wish I could have, but I was the one driving. They had six packs to go in the $12 range which is very, very cheap for the breweries. I had to do a double take before I bought one. I had a couple on the deck yesterday, and I must have sounded like a robot as all I could say was "yumm... yumm" LOL. They did a wonderful job on a hazy. It was malt forward enough to balance a fairly hoppy beer. Untapped has it listed as 7.2%, but my version was 6.6%. I like something a little lighter when I drink IPAs, so it worked.

Lot of malt barley is grown in Alberta and talking to a couple maltsters I know last year was hard on crops so I am not shocked by grain increases sadly. Also the protien content is a lot higher than normal last I heard which makes conversion less effective. So double whammy.

I've been waiting on a 20lb CO2 fill for almost 10 days now so not sure what the deal is there.

I'm finding a pint is running about $7 at the breweries around town. I did find one place over the weekend that was only charging $6, and their beer was outstanding. The only problem with the place is the hour drive:(

Where are you Sandy? What part of the planet?

Back