Fermzilla Conical Fermenter V2

I am planning on doing an oxygen-free dry hop using the collection container and CO2. Do I need to dump the trub first or can I do it at the same time as the dry hop? I am going to use a hop bag, but I am worried the trub may stop the hop bag from rising into the fermenter. On the other hand, I would rather not have to dump the collection cup twice.
Recon you'll need to dump the trub first it should all be in the collection cup if you left the valve open whilst primary was underway?
Any reason you have to use a bag?
I'm sure it'll rise up but seems just a risk getting stuck somewhere on the bag.
Good luck

I am planning on doing an oxygen-free dry hop using the collection container and CO2. Do I need to dump the trub first or can I do it at the same time as the dry hop? I am going to use a hop bag, but I am worried the trub may stop the hop bag from rising into the fermenter. On the other hand, I would rather not have to dump the collection cup twice.

If you're wanting oxygen free you will need to dump the collection cup, add hops and purge the cup with o2. Open the valve back up and the hops should rise and then eventually fall back into the cup again. If you're set on using a bag for some reason (you will let in oxygen) no need to mess with the collection cup I suppose. I've always accounted for a half gallon loss in the fermenter so my losses are the same as they've always been.

Here ya go Sir some fermzilla tips and tricks how about that closed gravity transfer ideah pretty cool eh should try this meself I recon.

Here ya go Sir some fermzilla tips and tricks how about that closed gravity transfer ideah pretty cool eh should try this meself I recon.

Yeah thanks. I caught up on his new vids last night!

I did have similar issues, but so far o-ring swap has worked for me. I know it hasn't for many others unfortunately.

Last edited:
Not in the market at the moment, but liking the new all rounder versions. None of the dumping/purging complexity and will easily fit in the ferm fridge.
https://www.kegland.com.au/fermzilla-30l-all-rounder-pressure-rated-keg-fermenter.html
Bloody Oath Mark I woulda bought this if it'd been released before I pulled the trigger on snub nose. I can't reach all the way into the snub nose just to give it a wipe type thing for cleaning whereas you can with that wide opening.

Aaaannnddd if you wanna dry hopped in a purged environment well buy a second one and just use ferm preassure to purge second keg add hops then transfer over your hoppy IPA onto them hops.

Whatdya recon?;)

Sounds like a plan. Just spent a bit on my Speidel fermenters and the fermzilla floating dip tube works well with the new NorCal attachments I bought. So it'll be a while.

I agree with him 100%. It's a great fermenter. I did have leaks when I got mine, but I will say most of mine were user error. I spent an afternoon and got my technique down and how to properly tighten, take apart, put together etc. I did have one leak that was the o-ring on the collection chamber that wasn't user error. After changing that out and working a bit with torque and pressures, I've had zero leaks. Never have to use the tool for tightening, only taking apart after ferments.

I'm liking this! I don't see it here in the states yet, but I may have to invest. I don't always want or need the collection chamber and this takes up less room, easier to clean, and less areas to possibly leak.

I'm liking this! I don't see it here in the states yet, but I may have to invest. I don't always want or need the collection chamber and this takes up less room, easier to clean, and less areas to possibly leak.
Amen Brother! yep was checking this out yesterday evening. Just remember (order the pressure kit as well) it doesnt come with the standard all rounder it comes with am air lock as you see in the vid.
Recon it's a no brainer to me ticks all the boxes
Small
You can fit your arm in it ( only partially in the snub nose that I've got)
Versatile ( use it as a bright tank, pressure vessal or even serving vessal).

Received the replacement today. Initially I filled the Fermzilla with a couple gallons of warm water. Added the collection cup (valve closed) and no leaking. Once I opened the valve it leaked (dripping) from the same place as the other. I only hand tightened the collection cup.
I removed the cup, added a thin layer of keg lube to see if that helps. Opened the valve and still drips. it's not much but more than i feel comfortable with. At this point I am no interested in using the strap to tighten the crap out of the cup to prevent leaking. If this thin doesnt seal properly with just hand tightening then I dont want it.
The idea behind the Fermzilla is great. But the sealing sucks. Seems like i am the only one having issues with this and maybe is just me being petty. But I cant have issues with the cup not sealing especially with trub removal or dry hopping and not know if the cup will seal until I open the valve.
Anyway, going to play with it a bit more tonight and if I cannot get it to seal to my satisfaction, I'll return it and go with the Kegmenter.
The lid is a nightmare my fermzilla would not seal.even found a little larger seal 2.5mm.no joy .I did solve it with this drastic solution .buy a king keg 4"5mm o ring that seals the lid.lube it up screw it down firmly with the tool and bingo .

Well, sad to report the replacement is going back to MoreBeer. Done messing with this thing.

I filled the 'Zilla with 5.75 gallons of water, added 15 PSI of pressure and one of the caps on the collection container leaked. So I replaced it with a carbonation cap, hand tightened and still leaked. Put the strap wrench to it and leaked.
Removed the carbonation cap and i guess from tightening it sucked in the rubber washer which I suppose wasn't sealing correctly. Fixed it and did the same thing. Tried one of the caps that came with the lid and it still leaked.

I like this thing but it just didn't work for me.

I've decided to either drop the coin for a Spike Flex+ which with a few added accessories bumps the price to $500 or try the Kegmenter. The Kegmenter will not fit in my ferm chamber without some mods but it's much cheaper than the spike (although different altogether) but still does basically the same thing. The Flex+ may not even fit depending how much added width the ports take up. Would probably have to add a collar and also a step inside to raise both above the compressor hump.

Maybe I'm lucky, I've had no leaking issues with my zilla.

The lid is a nightmare my fermzilla would not seal.even found a little larger seal 2.5mm.no joy .I did solve it with this drastic solution .buy a king keg 4"5mm o ring that seals the lid.lube it up screw it down firmly with the tool and bingo .
I got tired of fn with it. I'm waiting for the all rounder to come out.
My issue wasn't the lid it was the collection cup.

I got tired of fn with it. I'm waiting for the all rounder to come out.
My issue wasn't the lid it was the collection cup.
I'm getting one myself, but so far I haven't seen it in stock. The collection cup is alright to have sometimes, but I'd much rather it not be there.

Back