Boil to Mouth....

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
What is the shortest time between boil in the kettle to you drinking the beer have you ever experienced? If you don't mind, please tell us your brewing method, type of beer and the time period.

This should be interesting!

Not to split hairs...but are you talking absolutely shortest time, or shortest time until it tasted "good"!?
I always drink some "samples" while bottling (1-3 weeks post-boil), but that is flat as a cow-pie...

I almost always taste the wort just after I've boiled it... But the answer to the question I think you're asking is about three weeks.

7-10 days depending on how patient I am on average.

What is the shortest time between boil in the kettle to you drinking the beer have you ever experienced? If you don't mind, please tell us your brewing method, type of beer and the time period.

This should be interesting!
I think you are talking about days from “brew to glass.” If not please clarify. It depends on the beer style, but I have started pouring a pale or lightly dry hopped IPA 14 days after going into the fermenter. 10 day fermentation (including cold crash) with 4 days in the keg.

Recent Kviek brew and I was being patient is 11 days. You can turn these kviek brews around easy within a week.
Biggest thing is cooling it down from high fermentation temperature.

do a no boil extract with only dry hops for the fastest brewday, and then kveik it, you could be drinking something in 2.5 days MINIMUM. You could also just bring up some extract to 180ºF and do a quick whirlpool, takes a little longer. Kveik should take 24-36 hours, plus a 24 hour burst carb unless you've got a blichmann quick carb or something, in which case you could shave that down to 36.5-37 hours maybe. sounds fun.

7 days, brew in a bag, hi flocculent yeast, over night cold crash while force carbing but also rolled it on the ground to carb at first, came out cloudy but it was an IPA so no biggie, lots of flavor too

A really long time ago, for 10/10/10 we did a beer swap on a different forum. It was 10 brewers, brewing on October 10, and mailing it out in 10 days. We chose British mild for the style. It was excellent on day 10. The OG on mine was 1.037 I believe.

I will keg a few beers on about day 7, depending on what I”m making, but usually I’m drinking at about day 14 for non-complex hoppy beers.

man, you guys are wicked fast!

I'm struggling to get mine done fermenting in under 10 days...of course I'm doing roof scraping OG's of about 1.134 or more...wink wink.

However, I did one in about 4 weeks (1 week fermenting, 3 weeks bottle conditioning) that was okay. Some sort of Ale (new castle brown ale clone) if I remember right. Back when I had just started out. It was a partial mash (some extract and some grains).

BIAB.
3 weeks total = 2 weeks in the fermenter + 1 week "set it and forget it" in the keg. I could go faster but I'm far too lazy. Besides, I only brew and drink on the weekends so I'm in no hurry.

man, you guys are wicked fast!

I'm struggling to get mine done fermenting in under 10 days...of course I'm doing roof scraping OG's of about 1.134 or more...wink wink.

However, I did one in about 4 weeks (1 week fermenting, 3 weeks bottle conditioning) that was okay. Some sort of Ale (new castle brown ale clone) if I remember right. Back when I had just started out. It was a partial mash (some extract and some grains).

Forgot to say that I use the Brewers Edge Mash & Boil Electric system. Use a BIAB mesh bag for mashing and batch sparge (just place the bag and grains in a second bucket with 180 water for about 15 minutes and squeeze the bag). typically get between 70% and 80% depending on volume of grain. some reason my system only allows 14 lbs of grain before taking an efficiency hit even though the documentation from the manufacturer stated it holds 16 lbs. It may hold 16 lbs, but you are going to take a 15%-20% hit if you do that.

Anyways, that's my brew setup.

I did it in 5 days once. However, I do not recommend that approach. I find that some of my lighter beers can be quite good in 3 weeks.

8 days from grain to glass with a kveik braggot is my fastest, but even then it needed an extra week in the keg before it was really good. I have a fairly typical (beginner's) 3 vessel propane setup, and for kveik I ferment in reflectix wrapped glass carboys with an inkbird and heating pad.

Hopefully I'll be able to move from glass to fermenting in kegs soon though - carrying that thing full of wort always makes me nervous.

Last edited:

Back