Yeasty beer in keg

PZ

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is the situation:
1. Irish Red made with Wyeast 1084 and mainstream ingredients. Kegged one month ago. The only thing I did differently was leaving it in the keg at room temperature for a few days immediately after kegging.
2. Beer going into keg was crystal clear, even when chilled.
3. Beer is murky when initially pulled but clears after a couple quarts -- this is a guess -- is pulled. Goes back to murky after an unknown time, I'm guessing a few hours.
4. Yeasty beer tastes pretty terrible but fine when clear with no off flavors.
5. Beer put in growlers and bottles clears after a couple days with visible yeast on the bottom.
6. Switched out the liquid dip tube in case there was something in there. No change.

Any ideas of the cause? I'm resigned to filling growlers for rest of this one's life, but I wanted to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks!

you can cold crash that keg just above freezing for 3 or 4 days, then carefully take out and use the auto-siphon into another keg, set it on the edge of the lip not the center and make sure you don't shake the keg, if so let it set for an hour, of course you need it completely above the other keg

or if you don't have a free keg, use a bucket, then clean the yeast out of that keg and siphon back in

OMB, Carbonated beer won't siphon easily.
The best thing to do would be to pull your liquid post off, then pull out your dip tube and cut off 3/4-1 inch. Sanitize and replace. That should get you off the yeast.
In the future, you can use a keg as a bright tank and transfer from keg to keg with a jumper.
I can show you how if you're unsure of the process.
Brian

You create bubbles while transferring so be
sure you degas in the end and since the beer will be near freezing, don't worry about infection

yes cutting your liquid out tube at the bottom 1 inch works great, good point, Ive already done that on all my kegs, saving the step of transferring twice, so just pull the tube out, cut with a cheap pipe cutter, cold crash then just drink :D

Thank you Mr. Mentor. There is only a small amount left in the keg of this one. I've never had this happen beyond the first couple pints. I'll try cold crashing this next batch and hope for the best. Thanks again.

The cause of the murkiness was excess yeast stuck to the bottom of the keg. It was really dense and hard to dislodge. I guess the dip tube sucked it up a little at a time instead of all in the first couple pints. Don't know what caused the problem, but I let it condition at room temperature for a few days before putting it in the kegerator. If it happens again I will bottle it all at once instead of a few bottles at a time.

PZ, just another few thoughts: Did your batch reach final gravity before you siphoned it to the keg? And did you use a 2nd fermentation process? I always siphon my batch from 1st fermentation into a 2nd carboy. Never have a yeast issue with my kegs or bottles by using 2nd carboy fermentation process. Good luck!

Back