Yeast

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
How many different types of yeast do you use? I've been using just 2 for everything. Been recycling the same US/05 for ales and 34/70-Diamond Lager(pitched both at one point) for lagers from the fermenter for several batches now.

I try to get 3 full jars from a batch and save from less hoppy beers. I also make note of what batch it was saved from. I keep a jar in reserve from a known good batch until know the next batch is free from off flavors.

Lager yeast is kept in pint jars, ale yeast in half pints. When I pitch a batch I simply dump in a whole jar of room temp yeast. Typically air lock activity within 24hours.

How do the guys here that have been doing this for a while handle their yeast and am I overlooking anything in my handling?

I have been using purchased yeast to date. The havesting was a PITA with glass carboys. Planning however to harvest Voss Kviek from the batch I am kegging today, should be relatively easy with the spigots on my speidels. If it goes well, I will be doing more of that moving forward.

On have 4 yeasts in the fridge, London lll 1318, S-05, Nottingham Ale and Keivk. I’ll grab some Esb 1968 from local brewer if needed. I save all yeast except for the NEIPA’s (to much hop matter). I wash my yeast and saved in jars but I make a starter for every batch. Right now I am building yeast by making starter, saving half and pitching half.

Currently using only 2 regularly, both Mangrove Jack's. M36 Liberty Bell Ale and M42 New World Strong Ale. On the rare occasions when I brew an ESB, I'll use M15 Empire Ale. Haven't done any lagers lately, but my go to for them is W-34/70.

Good thread idea. Since I do mostly IPAs with dry hops, I like to start with a pack of Imperial (House A01), double it, split, use one jar and save one jar, double that, etc. I go about 5 brews with one pack of House then run something that needs a specialty yeast, then start over again with a new pack of House.

Looked at the brewing report and it was more than I thought. I've got a house saison blend scavenged from a few bottle dregs. There's a wild capture from a friends farm that she loves, so I keep it alive.

There's the traditional and hazy IPA yeasts (San Diego Super Yeast and Lodon Ale III). Still trying to settle down on an European ale/lager yeast for the Schwarzbier and the Berliner Weisse. Also trying to work out what English yeast I like. Though I think the English yeast may end up being two, one a low attenuator, one more normal.

US-05 gets used for the quick lacto sour and there's Roeselare for the sour red and the White Labs Belgian sour mix for the blonde sour. And those sours occasionally get bottle dregs from various things.

And I harvest and reuse the IPA yeasts, the house yeasts and the sour red and blonde blends. The rest I just buy when I need them.

I usually keep four on hand.
Safale US-05 for APA and IPA
Safale S-04 for British styles
Danstar Belle Saison
Safale T-58 for some Belgians
And sometimes I have some Safale BE-256 for some other Belgians.

I used to use a variety of liquid yeasts and do some harvesting, but over the past several years, dry yeasts have improved significantly and more varieties are available.

Cool thread.
For ales atm it's hornindal
For lagers it's S-189 Swiss lager yeast atm.

My harvest method is spin up starter to begin with to propogate bought yeast strain. Decant a portion of this off into clean sanitized jar for next batch.
If I'm brewing with kviek I'll pitch pretty much all decanted starter into fermentor Bar dregs in flask and build my next yeast propagation off this (I use this as a fast ferment test).

If lager I'll just keep replicating basic harvest method.
To break up propogations I'll pitch slurry from previous clean batches too.

I usually keep four on hand.
Safale US-05 for APA and IPA
Safale S-04 for British styles
Danstar Belle Saison
Safale T-58 for some Belgians
And sometimes I have some Safale BE-256 for some other Belgians.

I used to use a variety of liquid yeasts and do some harvesting, but over the past several years, dry yeasts have improved significantly and more varieties are available.
Years ago I switched from 1056/US05 for Pale Ales and IPA's to WLP007 Dry English yeast. I was looking for a slightly lower pH in the finished beer to keep the bitterness smoother. It works fantastic. I use WLP007 for competition beers because it clears very quickly and is super clean at 62-64F. I have won a considerable amount of awards for American Pale Ales and American IPA's with WLP007.

S04 is a very close cousin of WLP007, but not as dry and is a great yeast for American and English beers. It's very clean at 62-64F, hops and malt come through nicely and the finish pH is slightly lower than Chico strains. It can be used up to 72F for more esters. I use S04 for all my house IPA's and Pale Ales.

I have a pro brewer friend of mine that uses that $h!+ on everything. Well maybe not everything, but it even worked on a German Alt. Give S04 a try on American PA's/IPAs, that $h!+ is awesome.

I used to hop around from yeast to yeast, but I've settled on one type of lager yeast, Weihenstephan strain (Wyeast2124; WLP830; 34/70) and the Dry English strain (WLP007/S04). The strains are closely related, but not exact.

I have lets see now...
(Kveik)
Voss
Hornindal
Midbudst

(Misc)
Harvested Pilsner yeast from a local
34/70
Belle Saison
Lambic dregs
Juniper test harvest
1728 Scotch Ale

Plus dry sachets for emergencies. I probably have to many.

Back