Yeast starter from Wort

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
OK for my last brew I saved about 4 L of wort, jarred it and put it in the fridge. The gravity is 1.052 I should be able to add some of the yeast I've saved in the past and use this for a starter, right?

Yes, but be sure that your wort is boiled an properly sanitized before pitching the yeast.

I've been doing this for the last several batches now and works a treat.

What I've been doing thinking s overbuilding recipe by 2lt and pinching this 10mins into boil into a growler I'll cap this and leave overnight to chill down. Then next day I pour off the settled break and hop material into flask then boil for ten chill and pitch yeast as per usual.

For my kviek yeast I've just been pouring out most of my yeast slurry I to fermentor then filling flask straight off kettle then transferring what's left into fermentor.

The gravity is 1.052 I should be able to add some of the yeast I've saved in the past and use this for a starter, right?
You can add about .4 of a liter to each liter or 1.6 liters to the 4 liters to give you a a gravity of 1.036 and a wort volume of 5.6 liters. That will give you the best gravity for growing yeast and is the gravity Brewers Friends starter calculator uses.

Not only does it give you the best gravity for yeast propagation, but you end up with more wort. If you can't use it right away, you can freeze it for later. It will keep for about a year in the freezer.

Back