NubeBuster

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am fairly new to brewing. I am doing a sugar wash to distill.

I see many different and confusing topics about yeast nutrient. I simply don't know whether I should add nutrients or not. Firstly, the reason I don't want to add nutrients is because they are not broadly available in my country. Secondly, to make it myself, I would need conservative-free raisins - also not broadly available.

Main question
Do I need to add yeast nutrient to a sugar wash with turbo yeast? It will only distill for about 48 hours, supposedly.

Secondary question, if so
Can I simply boil bakers' yeast to death, and use that as nutrient?

Any off-flavours from the dead bakers' yeast should vanish after a distilling run, or two. Right?

I am fairly new to brewing. I am doing a sugar wash to distill.

I see many different and confusing topics about yeast nutrient. I simply don't know whether I should add nutrients or not. Firstly, the reason I don't want to add nutrients is because they are not broadly available in my country. Secondly, to make it myself, I would need conservative-free raisins - also not broadly available.

Main question
Do I need to add yeast nutrient to a sugar wash with turbo yeast? It will only distill for about 48 hours, supposedly.

Secondary question, if so
Can I simply boil bakers' yeast to death, and use that as nutrient?

Any off-flavours from the dead bakers' yeast should vanish after a distilling run, or two. Right?
You CAN do all of those things. We are brewers - we generally nourish our yeast with wort derived from mashing barley malt. It has everything in it the yeast needs with possible exception of some calcium from the water. If I understand correctly and you are attempting to grow yeast in sugar, yes, you need nutrients. And yes, baker's yeast boiled to death should provide some nutrients, I can't speak to it providing all of them.

Good luck with it!

My friends who still will just take a block of bakers yeast and cut about 1" off of it and toss it in the sugar wash, seems to do the trick all on it's own. Doesn't go nuts like turbo yeast but it's cheap. Or yeah do what you're doing which will probably work based on the fact I'm not blind yet.

Back