Yeast Choice

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the OYL091 Hornindal Kveik - Omega Yeast in a NEIPA? I am planning to brew 2 separate NEIPA recipes using this yeast. If not a NEIPA I am curious what you used it in and what the results were.

A friend of mine has a brewery and he brews with that yeast every now and then. I was at the brewery last night and tried an IPA he did with Hornindal, it had a moderate pineapple character, but it wasn't in your face strong. It's a good yeast for a standard IPA, but I have heard others using it for lighter styles like cream ale or blond ale and had good luck at lower temps. Some say it makes a great porter too. I haven't used it myself, but I have tasted beer fermented with it and seems to me that any hoppy beer would be the obvious choose.

A friend of mine has a brewery and he brews with that yeast every now and then. I was at the brewery last night and tried an IPA he did with Hornindal, it had a moderate pineapple character, but it wasn't in your face strong. It's a good yeast for a standard IPA, but I have heard others using it for lighter styles like cream ale or blond ale and had good luck at lower temps. Some say it makes a great porter too. I haven't used it myself, but I have tasted beer fermented with it and seems to me that any hoppy beer would be the obvious choose.
Stupid historical derail... It seems Porter took over from brown ale as the NEIPA of the time because drinkers like the aged character. Aged meant aged in barrels at the pub, so it really was giving the brown ale months on Brett C (the likely candidate). So using a yeast that gives a hint of pineapple sounds historically very accurate. I can just imagine some drinkers grumbling to themselves and their friends about this 'new fangled porter'.

Back