Yeast Calculator vs Manufacturer Recomendation

Pelirojo

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have recently moved to dry yeast as starters are getting to be hard to do.
I have a 1bbl system and it was taking 3-5 days to get a proper starter.
My question is that Fermentis says in the product detail sheet that the yeast is 6x10^11 cells/gm
If I use that for cell count in the calculator that gets me to 250-300gm for a 1.058 IG beer at 35gal vol
But the product detail sheet tells me 50-80gm/hL 35gal~1.2hL.
So on the high end that is 96gm for the batch.
I ask specifically as I have a 1.058 IG Oatmeal Stout in the fermenter now at 68d F
I pull off 5L of wort and rehydrate the yeast on a stir plate for 45min
I put in 250gm of Safale S-04
It is third day and after two days of really active fermentation it has slowed.
I pulled off about 3/4 gal of thick foam from the top port in the conical.
Worried I may have over-pitched.
I am cold crashing tonight so I will see how it is Sun when I go to keg it.

Any thoughts on the pitch rate in the calculator vs the manufacturer's recommendation?
I usually go with the calculator as agree with the calculations, but limited time using dry yeast.

That's a lot of beer. I know at normal homebrew levels it's nearly impossible to overpitch, but I don't know at the bbl level. That's well outside my knowledge base.

If you rehydrated with wort you've likely lost enough cell count to be in the ball park. I doubt you'd see a problem with that level of overpitching. From what I've read, the biggest problem with overpitching is not manifest as much in the beer, as in future generations of the yeast. If I were brewing a barrel or larger batches I would consider a microscope and a hemocytometer to be a worthwhile investment.

Back