Yeast and brewing efficiency

borkic

Trial Member
Reaction score
Regards to all,

could you help me how to determine brewing efficiency?

The other thing, whenever I put beer into a secondary fermenter or bottle, remain crumbs of yeast. How can I get rid of that?

Thanks in advance,
Borko

To determine your efficiency you can use the OG/FG calculator on this site, I used that then adjusted my effiency number as I brewed more batches and collected more data. If you are bottle conditioning your beer then you can't really get rid of all the yeast, you need some for carbonation. However, when you transfer your beer if you avoid siphoning too much trub from your promary fermentor then that will help to reduce the amount that winds up in the bottle

Thank you very much for advice, it was very helpful.

Also, I would like to ask, when is it best time to check FG? Do I need to put sugar first in the primary fermenter or not? After how many days is it recommended for example for IPA and APA?

Also, could you tell me which is it best way to carry out carbonization to remove rest of the yeast?

Thanks in advance!

I usually let my beer ferment for two weeks before I check fo FG. If you check two days in a row and you get the same reading then you are ready to bottle.
Carbonating will not get rid of the yeast, if you are carbonating in the bottle you will always have some yeast in the bottle, you just need to avoid pouring it into your glass when you drink it.

Back