wort mineral additions?

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
is there a way to add CaCl additions post mash in the water chemistry calculator?

I messaged a brewery who told me they add CaCl to the mash and the wort, looking for a mash pH of 5.4 and a wort pH of 5.2,

Calcium chloride won't help after mashing. It'll just add mineral flavor. If you need acidity after mashing, use a food grade acid, lactic or phosphoric to taste.

is there a calculation for this? does x amount of lactic acid always diminish pH by y amount? no matter if I'm adding it to water or wort?

acids does drop ph no matter if in the mash or wort, I did an extract the other day and added phosphoric acid to the wort to lower the ph down to 5.6

Calcium chloride won't help after mashing. It'll just add mineral flavor. If you need acidity after mashing, use a food grade acid, lactic or phosphoric to taste.

Sure it does. It can help drop the kettle pH even more, although boiling itself drops the pH also. It's not the best way to lower the alkalinity, but hopefully the mash pH was in range so the boil pH won't be far off anyway. Adding a ton of it (say, like in a NE IPA) to the boil may be problematic because that could push the pH lower than desired.

is there a calculation for this? does x amount of lactic acid always diminish pH by y amount? no matter if I'm adding it to water or wort?

No. Because remember the boil drops the pH too, as does fermentation. Grain affects the pH of the mash, as does the alkalinity (buffering capacity) of the water.

If you're adding the lactic acid to RO water, for example, then yes the addition would be linear and not change. But adding that water to your grain will change the pH, based on the alkalinity of the grain.

Back