WLP033 Klassic Ale Yeast

emsroth

Premium Member
Reaction score
I apparently bought (2) vials from the White Labs vault when I was having a British phase. Not wanting them to go to waste, I will be incorporating them into an "Estate IPA." A malthouse in my area also grows their own hops, so the beer will be from the same place. I was always planning on using a UK yeast because that seems most appropriate. Attenuation is low (~70%) so I will be mashing at 150 F and hope for balance. I am more accustomed to Belgian yeasts with 80%+ attenuation. So two questions:

-Has anyone had any experience with this yeast? I believe it was either a Platinum seasonal or a regular yeast a few years back.

-Can someone with more experience with low-attenuating yeasts opine on mash temperature? The OG will be 1.061

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/456695

Mash low and avoid crystal malts would be my recommendation.

Mashed for 45 minutes at 148, then being scared of it being too dry I bumped it up to 154 for an additional 45 minutes.

The malt are local (less modified) so I wanted to ensure conversion, and a 90 minute mash does just that. Achieved 70% efficiency (which is good for local malts). In primary since sunday night and the hop flavors are just starting to show (I find they develop around day 5).

Results are in

Mashed at 148 and resulted in 81% AA, much higher than the listed values. 1.066 to 1.012

The fermentation had adequate yeast, if but a little under-pitched. Started within 12 hours and went strong...but then took forever to finish. Strong flavors of either diacetyl or some other fermentation by product that has it tasting ~off~. The daicetyl flavor disappeared with age, cold conditioning, and dry hopping, but there is still an ~off~ flavor as the beer warms. It tastes carboard-like, but definitely not oxidation, especially this young. It tastes like a stressed fermentation.

I forgot to aerate with my air pump, so perhaps that explains the issues? The yeast ran out of steam halfway through and struggled to finish, throwing off undesirable byproducts.

Long story short, not the best time for me. I can't fully blame the yeast, but I don't want picky yeast in my brewery. So I'll add it to the list of "not for me."

-WLP033 Klassic
-WLP001 California
-WLP007 English Dry
-WLP095 Burlington
-Imperial B51 Workhorse

No good emsroth it had good attenuation just not clean fermentor. Have you tried wlp090 Sandiego Super Yeast a clean super attenuating Chico yeast ? Good luck on your quest for a brew house yeast strain.

Back