Wits End (Not witbier related)

Pottsy

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I am trying really hard to be able to use either the old or new Apps or the web interface but the amount of issues faced is getting to the point that none are useable for me. I am not sure how much more time to spend chasing data inconsistency, portions of the recipe editor that simply don't work, failures to reflect changes in water additions... etc. Rarely have I worked through the issues and saved a recipe do I reload it and see what I thought I saved. (I think there are issues with old snapshots over-writing recent saved changes.)

Is there a bug tracking system anywhere that users can check out to see what has or has not been reported, what is in the queue etc?

For example:
Why are there multiple versions of the same water additives under the 'other ingredients' list and why do only some of them, when added, get reflected in the water report?
Why does the Target Water Profile often forget what you selected and default to reflecting the 'source' water profile when reviewing recipes?
Why does the HCO3 of the target profile sometimes end up with bizarre 0.00XX values when no additives are provided in quantities where that could/should occur?
Sometimes if you change a water additive, save the recipe and then come back to it, the additives effect on the Target will be there, sometimes not. Sometimes you have to remove them and try again. Often when you do that you find that the previously selected target water has changed and you are now trying to adjust for the wrong target.
Water calculators that you relied on just a day ago get corrupted: "Water parameters not positive number(s) (value = )"
Sometimes hops come and go, sometimes prior contents of malt bills over-write recently saved changes...

Sorry for the rant but things like additives not impacting results, malts changing, and the water report being so sketchy are huge deals when you can end up trashing recipes accidentally or spend more time trying to sort out editor issues than actually brewing. (Yes we can use other tools like Palmers for water, yes we can use other tools for yeast pitch rates, and for mash guidelines... but it'd be awfully nice if everything in the editor worked and anything that really doesn't just remove it to do away with any false sense until it does work fully.)

Thanks.

View mode versus Edit - same recipe, no active edits, opened at the same time, it's like different views are sourcing the data from a different DB column in a seemingly random fashion:
upload_2021-11-19_18-45-39.png

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of all your frustrations @Pottsy, and we really appreciate the feedback.

@Yooper can you also take a look at the above issues regarding the water agents and chemistry records dropping?

We definitely understand, our priorities right now are to fix some small bugs, and to overhaul the volumes/equipment/qwr/mash guidelines so everything is working properly and intuitively. Then integrate the water chemistry directly into the recipe builder, and remove the need to link/unlink/update recipe within the water chemistry calculator. Simply add the water agents to the recipe, and the chemistry should be updated accordingly in the recipe builder.

As far as a public issue tracker, we don't have any atm but it's something we have discussed. I definitely see lots of potential in improved transparency as well as more direct feedback on what matters to the users. We tried for a few months via forum updates in the announcement section, but we ended up stopping due to lack of views or interactions/feedback by the community. It was a lot of work to keep maintained, so we'll need to figure out a method of integrating something like this more seemlessly where users can ask questions, leave comments, and vote for things accordingly and the BF team can respond, and adapt to requests quickly.

Sorry to hear of all your frustrations @Pottsy, and we really appreciate the feedback.

@Yooper can you also take a look at the above issues regarding the water agents and chemistry records dropping?

We definitely understand, our priorities right now are to fix some small bugs, and to overhaul the volumes/equipment/qwr/mash guidelines so everything is working properly and intuitively. Then integrate the water chemistry directly into the recipe builder, and remove the need to link/unlink/update recipe within the water chemistry calculator. Simply add the water agents to the recipe, and the chemistry should be updated accordingly in the recipe builder.

As far as a public issue tracker, we don't have any atm but it's something we have discussed. I definitely see lots of potential in improved transparency as well as more direct feedback on what matters to the users. We tried for a few months via forum updates in the announcement section, but we ended up stopping due to lack of views or interactions/feedback by the community. It was a lot of work to keep maintained, so we'll need to figure out a method of integrating something like this more seemlessly where users can ask questions, leave comments, and vote for things accordingly and the BF team can respond, and adapt to requests quickly.

I’m looking at this today. One of the issues is the ‘custom’ ingredients I think, as far a the multiple choices of misc ingredients, and the ‘brands’. My own opinion is that water agents should NOT be ‘branded’ or added more than once. @Priceless would you agree that this could be a large part of the issue? (The brands is a bit of a mess, but that’s for another discussion).

I have also experienced the ‘target’ and source waters randomly changing in my recipe.

As far as the 0.0000 bicarbonate- I haven’t seen that except in my own custom water targets, as bicarbonate shouldn’t ever be a target anyway (except what is needed to get a mash pH of 5.2-5.5 or so). I’d need to please have a shot of which targets are pulling that up if you don’t mind?

One issue I do see above with the mash additions (gypsum, etc) is it’s not completely filled out. To wit:
25D56308-13DC-459D-B381-660BA3A6A7B5.jpeg

I think that is part of the issue.

Back