Winter Seasonal development

OkanaganMike

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to develop a winter seasonal spiced type of beer. I've never brewed one before but have enjoyed them in the past from local craft breweries. Thinking of using my Irish death clone as a base (since I can harvest the yeast in 3 weeks) and would like advice on how to "spice it up". Thinking of flavor profiles of cinnamon, vanilla cloves, nutmeg and maybe orange rind?

Also thoughts on when to add. I've seen some boil for 10 mins, some add at flame out while others may add after primary fermentation in order not to lose any aroma?

Title: Irish Wake (Irish Death Clone)
Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Clone Beer
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.060
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.082
Final Gravity: 1.022
ABV (standard): 7.87%
IBU (tinseth): 35.24
SRM (morey): 32.47

FERMENTABLES:
14 lb - American - Pilsner (77.8%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (5.6%)
1 lb - Belgian - Caramel Pils (5.6%)
1 lb - Flaked Barley (5.6%)
8 oz - American - Chocolate (2.8%)
4 oz - American - Black Malt (1.4%)
4 oz - American - Roasted Barley (1.4%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 20.46
0.25 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 4.33
0.25 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 3.63
0.5 oz - Mount Hood, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.8, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 3.75
0.5 oz - Mount Hood, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.8, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 2.74
0.5 oz - Mount Hood, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.8, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 0.33

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Wyeast - Irish Ale 1084
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 73%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 62 - 72 F

NOTES:
Toast the Flaked Barley in 300F oven until smells good.

Last Christmas I tried a guess at Petes Wicked Winter Brew, which was a basic LME amber malt bill-- with raspberry flavoring (>10mL), and like 1/8 tablespoon of nutmeg added at kegging. I liked this level of nutmeg. With all spices, go less than you think you need.

Your recipe looks tasty.

agreed on the less is more. i even tend to bump it down 10% or so from what i think it'll need.

i've got some vanilla beans that have been sitting in regular table sugar for a few months now, really need to use that for some bottle priming or something.

i think you've got the right idea on putting them in at the end of the boil and/or when racking to secondary. making a vodka tincture might also be a good idea, that way you can tweak how much you add when it comes to time to bottle / keg

I do quite a bit of cooking and already am a bit gun shy on the "right" amount for each spice as I know it is very easy to over do it. The "right" amount of course is relative to everyone's individual tastes. I've got a couple of weeks to think about this and hope I don't chicken out before its time. Clove and Nutmeg go a long way for sure and I know vanilla does too. I like your idea of a vodka tincture especially as I keg, it would be fairly easy to add a little at a time to get to the level I like being careful not to oxidize the beer each time its opened. I've read a whack of these spiced beer recipes and nobody mentioned that and wonder if there's a reason.

not sure either. i can see maybe using too much vodka for the amount of spices, but if you're careful with that it shouldn't really affect 5 gallons of beer all that much (a slight bump in ABV, but probably not too noticeable)

if you do go the tincture route, perhaps getting those started now so they'll be ready to go once you brew. plus, you can maybe dose a plain beer with some to get a sense of how much to use for your beer

and i agree it's all relative. i don't think i've had a pumpkin or winter beer that i've liked because of over spicing. and i can't really stand cloves, which rules out most belgians (blasphemy i know ;))

I've got some vanilla extract I made sitting in a beer mug left over from when I Brewed the cream ale I did I was gunna douse the keg with it but withheld on the vodka taste. But I'm thinking of using this in my next Pilsner style brew if I do I'll post my thoughts on it.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I think there is a reason no one does this. It may work fine but I think I just have to research more recipes.

In my experience, a single vanilla bean is enough for a subtle flavor impact. Two and you'd start tasting like an ice cream float. But there's no real advantage to using the beans or putting the vanilla in any time before packaging. Use tincture or extract and add to taste when you're packaging the beer.

Back