I got a brew going in one of those 1gal carboys, fitted with a blowoff tube. Now I purposefully left a good part of the hop pellet gunk in the cooled wort, thinking to maximise aroma extraction. After 24 hours, fermentation went nuts and the foam started pushing the hop debris out through the blowoff tube. It's not quite clogged, but close to it. I didn't expect the hops to rise out so much (there's not too much headspace neither) So I guess my idea is somewhat suboptimal. Since the hops get pushed out, I'm not getting that much aroma, plus I run the risk of clogging. I'll try again very scientifically with less gunk and more headspace.