Whirlpool Hop addition

KingPaul

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am planning a 60min IPA. My recipe askes for 20grams of hops at whirlpool. Now, I recently started to use a counter flow chiller with excellent results. Using my old immersion chiller in a bucket filled with ice water to pre-chill the water I get my 20l of wort down to pitching temp in no time.
My question is, when doing a whirlpool hop addition, how long must I wait before removing the wort from the boiler through the cfc to my fermenter?
Second question, not really related, what is the general thought on trub/hops in the fermenter? I know there will always be a little trub/hops in the fermenter, but I have heard of brewers dumping everything from the boiler into there fermenter, especially with an brew like an IPA that has a lot of trub.

Thx

usually I whirlpool from flame out until the temp reaches 180 or 170 usually about 30 minutes but I have a real port in my pot just for the whirlpool using a pump, if you don't just stir as long as you can stand it

as far as the hops and trub I've done it both ways and the only thing I don't like is 3 ounces of hops sitting in the fermenter for a week, seems to soak up too much beer and I have less finished product and can make the beer taste grassy if you leave it in there too long

what you can do is chill and settle your carboy, then before fermenting take the auto siphon and pull the wort off the trub and hops

another way is to run your wort threw your CFC back to kettle creating a whirlpool and cooling wort to a controlled temp. The advantages are you reduce temps quickly avoiding DMS, you get temps down below 170 before adding hops, no longer having to worry about alpha acids you'll just have aroma compounds and lastly depending how cold you chilling liquor is you will be able to bring pitch temps lower especially with lagers.To control kettle temp simply shut chilling water off at desired temp. Depending on what type of CFC you have you may need a screen in front of kettle drain until trub is piled

Back